Chapter 14: And Unpredictable

Merry Christmas!

My present to you is a quick, friendly reminder:

You're letting your guard down, slipping up too much. Be careful. Or your secret might just be broadcasted on the evening news.

Watch yourself.

-Secret Keeper

I collapsed onto my bed

I was curled up into a ball, rocking back and forth, mascara running. "Bad" by Lennon Stella seared through my mind as I swayed to the beat, humming the lyrics that I had committed by memory.

"I probably should've known better,

I probably should've known better,

Every word you said was sweet but you was lying,

Everything you covered up, making up just to keep me from crying."

 I stared at the red card in my hand. The swirly golden letters were definitely Secret Keeper's. And I had never seen this one before. He was going to send it today.

And the note came from Tyler's pocket.

That means Tyler is Secret Keeper.

"I wish that you would've treated me bad,

Truth is you couldn't have loved me better,

Now I'm left feeling twice as sad,

I wish you would've treated me bad, bad, bad."

But that's not possible. Tyler couldn't be Secret Keeper. He would never blackmail me and Jordan. He would never try to hurt us. He would never force Jordan into jail. He would never let me live with the false guilt of killing Jason. He wasn't a bad person. He cared about us. I know he did. He had to. There must be a perfectly acceptable explanation as to why he had a newly written Secret Keeper letter in his pocket...

Stop it, Vera. You're in denial. You're just making excuses.

I immediately wanted to slap myself. I was running again. Why was I so weak? Why couldn't I face the fact that Tyler was Secret Keeper? Why couldn't I make myself do anything about it?

No. I needed to take action. I couldn't let Tyler get away with lying to all of us. But I wasn't strong enough to do it myself. So I called the one person who was.

Alyssa lifted up on the third ring.

"Seriously, Vera. I swear to god, it's two in the morning. This better be important-"