Chapter 12: Anyways, I Would Watch Out

~Jordan~

~Jordan~

Julia cried.

We were sitting on my bed, curtains closed tight, as we thought back to Jason. I had finally told Julia about him being a street fighter. She didn't seem as surprised as me, but she took it as an excuse to go back down memory lane and think of Jason and the evening that it all went wrong. What had felt like an eternity had only been two weeks. Two weeks where I felt the pain of Jason's absence and how he died at the hands of his own brother.

A couple more minutes passed before I turned to look at the time and tapped Julia's shoulder. "We have to go."

She stood up and rushed to the bathroom to fix her makeup as I threw on a black blazer. A few minutes later, she emerged from the bathroom looking normal, as if she didn't have a complete meltdown just moments earlier.

"Ready?" I asked her.

She nodded.

I clasped her hand and we walked out of the hallway and down the stairs. Julia's light pink dress swirled around her, the sparkles catching the light. We made our way through the blinding golden foyer and towards the door. Our parents ignored Julia as my mother looked towards me.

"We'll meet you there," she told me politely. I nodded my head once and followed Julia out the door.

Waiting for us on the driveway was an LG Connected Car. It was one of the first premium self driving cars that was originally made for a taxi system to be employed in the future, but my dad pulled some strings and got two for personal use. Not only that, he managed to get a six-seater version with two extra seats placed where one of the doors should've been.

Julia and I climbed in sitting across from each other in the seats closest to the door. I verbalized the end location of the Cavalier Manor for the annual winter ball and ordered the car to pick up the rest of the group on the way. The car jolted to life and followed my instructions.

Twenty minutes later we filed out of the car and onto the soft lawn of the Cavalier Manor. Up ahead, the mansion stood tall and pristine, golden glowing lights basking the lawn. Suites and gowns swirled around the grass and in and out of the big wide doors. More people milled around at the side in the garden with champagne in their hands.