Chapter 8: I'm Impressed

Jordan Kleizmick,

I need to talk to you. Meet me at William's party this evening. Trust me, it's important.

-Lyle Gray

A/N: Character aesthetic of Lyle Gray in the pic above

A/N: Character aesthetic of Lyle Gray in the pic above. Enjoy!

And this chapter is dedicated to XxDownworlderGirlXx for her constant support, comments and dedication! Thank you! And you guys should go check out some of her stories too!

"He's not what you think he is," Tyler tried to inform me over the music.

"Sure he isn't," I said back. "He's a smart nerd with a 4.0 who probably just wants to how he could ever get on the team or ask us to help his bullies lay off. Or wants our autograph. What's there to be unexpected? We've encountered these kinds of things all the time."

Tyler sighed and mumbled, "Seeing is believing."

I ignored him as I scanned the full living room.

William had decided that it would be a great idea to throw a first-day-of-Winter-Break party. Of course, most parties weren't as big as the kind of things you saw in movies and TV shows. William's was no different, although slightly above average. It had a large number of people due to all of the highschoolers happy to celebrate winter break, but it wasn't crazy. Not yet, anyways.

Alcohol was passed around in cups or beer bottles. Drug users were huddled in corners. Occasionally, people stopped and asked us if we wanted a variety of different things, ranging anywhere from a chocolate milkshake to meth. Tyler and I refused every time and the person moved on without a protest. No one pressured us into taking anything we didn't want. There was one thing about parties that parents or movies and TV shows couldn't ever get right:

No one gives a damn.

Their all just enjoying their time and having fun dancing or getting high. They could care less about what you're drinking or shitting.

Still, all things considered, Tyler and I never really planned on going to William's party. We had enough on our plate as it was. The only reason we came was because of a strange note that I had found in my mailbox from Lyle Gray. I had never talked to him in my life. All I knew was that he was super smart, probably even the best in our grade.

Which was why I brought Tyler along. Tyler had reportedly talked and interacted with Lyle before so I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to have him along. Besides, we could go hang out when we're done. After all, it should end pretty quickly since it can't be that important if you're meeting at a high school party.

Tyler tapped my arm and pointed to the very center of the room, "Found him."

I couldn't see very much from the thick crowd, but I managed to catch a flash of short brown hair in the very middle. I found it strange that he was in the center of the party, but I didn't think about it too long.