Chapter 4: Wish My Life Was So Exciting

Dear Vera,

I had received your letter from the last time. Of course, I can't answer all of your questions. That would ruin the fun!

On the other hand, I do want something from you. I know that as one of their closest friends, you have access to the Kleizmick Mansion. I want any information you can find.

And keep your mouth shut. Or bad things will happen.

-Secret Keeper

I had never felt more misplaced in my life

These emotions flooded me after Julia confessed. Not to mention, everything around me felt odd. Alyssa looked completely normal and somewhat bored even though one of her best friends was in jail. And Tyler was religiously staring at me.

Yeah, something was definitely up with that.

I pretended not to notice any of these as I sat next to Jordan on Alyssa's bed and stared at the floor like him. I was surprised the floor hadn't fallen away from our glares.

"Why would Julia do that?" I said, speaking everyone's thoughts. The question hung in the air.

"I don't know," Jordan whispered. His emerald green eyes were red and puffy.

"You sure?" Tyler asked. I turned to notice that his unreadable eyes slid over to Jordan.

Jordan turned and gave him an inquisitive look "What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

Tyler shrugged, not breaking eye contact, "She was your sister. We all know she tells you everything."

"I guess there's exceptions," Jordan mumbled and he turned back around. 

The statement reminded me of the letter from Secret Keeper that I found in my purse earlier. How the hell did it get there? How did I not notice a stranger approach me close enough to slip it into my bag? The only people that were near me were my friends...

I shook my head. I must've just been distracted because of the confession. Either way, I would have to worry about it later. I had bigger problems now.

"It just doesn't make sense," I said. "Why would she confess to a crime she didn't commit? And it wasn't just any crime, it was murder. Why would someone confess to that?"

"Maybe she was defending someone," Tyler spoke. I stiffened a little as I ran the thought over through my mind. I felt Jordan go still and Alyssa snap her head up, suddenly attentive.

"You're saying," Alyssa started, "that Julia knew who murdered her brother, and not only did she keep it to herself, but she defended them?"

"It's possible."

"No," Alyssa argued. "No, it's not. She would never help someone get away with murdering Jason. She loved him more than anything. Julia would want justice for him."