Chapter 3: Of Course, Your's Involved A Lot More Killing

Dear "Secret Keeper",

Who the hell are you? Why are you doing this? How did you find out?

What the hell do you want?

-Vera Reinhart

I killed Jason Hargrove

And now I am attending his funeral as one of his long time best friends.

Everything happened so fast. He was killed Thursday, found to be murdered Saturday, autopsy finished Sunday, and finally being buried by Monday evening. 

I had no idea what I was going to be like during the funeral, but I tried to prepare myself to the best of my ability. I couldn't show an ounce of weakness or regret or David Kleizmick was sure to pick up on it.

I was starting to feel a little more confident after I had written the note to Secret Keeper and left it in my locker. I checked up on it later in the day to find it gone. There were only a few people who knew my locker combo so I had no idea how they figured it out. Unless they helped out in the main office, but very few people did that. Or maybe they were closer to home than thought.

No. Shut up. It isn't possible.

By the time I got home there still hadn't been any letter in the mail. Maybe they were shocked by my response and trying to figure out how to reply. The thought gave me a boost of confidence.

My father and Vincent both wore black suits as my mother and I wore our dresses. I had taken Alyssa's advice and scrapped the hat and let my hair down.  I had to admit, Alyssa was right. My hair was pretty.

The Kelizmick's sent us a limo with a fully stocked fridge that my brother had immediately raided. Normally, I would've joined him, but today I felt like puking. My hands shook and I clasped them together firmly as I desperately tried to shop. I was feeling light headed as we pulled up to the fancy building. I stepped out, shakily and repeated a few lines over and over again.

I didn't kill Jason. I didn't kill him. I didn't kill him. It was all a movie. I didn't kill him.

Slowly, my heart beat went back to normal and the world felt less dizzy as I stood straight. That was close. I wasn't sure how long I could keep it up for.

The faster I get out of here, the better.

The first thing I noticed were the police. There were dozens of them lining the walls and watching your every move. One of their eyes set on me and I started to panic.

What if they know? What if they were waiting for me? What if secret told them because of the note I sent? What if they could just look at me and know that I killed him? What if they could read my mind?

The police officer turned away and I caught my swirling thoughts.

Don't be stupid. He can't read my mind. Get a grip.