Chapter 3: Jackie's POV

I finish eating as fast as I possibly can, and race down to Rachel's cave, ducking inside. Rachel sits cross-legged on a velvety purple cushion, her eyes closed and her curly red hair obscuring most of her face. She seems to be deep in thought.

"Hey... Rachel? You said you wanted to see me?"

"Jaquelin Elway-"

"Oh, um, you can just call me Jackie-" I immediately shut up as her eyes blink open and flash a vibrant, unnatural shade of green. They're almost... glowing? She opens her mouth and a green mist starts pouring out of it. Frightened, I stumble backwards, nearly tripping over the art supplies scattered carelessly across the cold stone floor. Then Rachel begins to speak, but it's not her normal voice. It holds an ancient power that echoes throughout the cave.

"Two demigods, to each their own

One of Greece and one of Rome

Reinstating the relics bestowed by the gods

To save their camps against all odds

Beware the one true hero's bane

Or the one who cannot be escaped will reign

The two must find equilibrium or take their final breaths

Their failure would result in immediate deaths."

Rachel shudders and the green mist disperses, fading away in the candle-lit cave. She blinks, and her eyes are back to their normal shade of green. Stunned, I can only gape at her.

"Jackie? Wha- oh, right, I called you down. I needed to talk to you about getting your siblings to stop booby trapping the entrance to my cave."

"But- you- what- did you just give me a prophecy?!" I stutter.

"Oh my gods. I did what now?! Why can't I be conscious while I prophesize?!" She shakes her head at the ceiling in an exasperated way as if she's scolding the gods. "Well... what did I say?"

I repeat the prophecy to her, and the second I say relics, her face goes pale. "Oh gods. It's happening."

"Um... what's happening?" I stare at her blankly. I mean I'm terribly excited to have gotten a prophecy, but I don't even know if it's for me, or if I just happened to show up at the wrong time.

"We... We need to talk to Chiron. Immediately. Big House, now." Without another word, Rachel stands up and marches out of the cave, red curls bouncing behind her. What just happened? I think to myself as I follow her out. Her expression didn't look great... but what if the prophecy actually is mine? Would I finally get to go on a quest?