Roses Are Red

"It's from the gardens. I'm pretty sure." Nyx said, pinching the petal gently between her fingers as she examined it at breakfast early the next morning. She and Perry had grabbed the usual table, and were waiting to see if they would be joined.

"Not many other places it's going to be from." Perry nodded.

"Do you think... Someone knows?" She said in a half-whisper, thinking of her exploration under the rosebush and what she had found there.

"Everybody knows." Perry said pointedly. "The degree of detail just varies. It's probably just somebody who thinks they're being funny."

"Maybe." Nyx said, thinking about it. Then, she shrugged. "It's just a flower."

***

"Maybe you have a secret admirer." Ronnie giggled, as they sat in art therapy together, dabbing random blobs of paint onto their paper just to make it look like they were busy. "A secret admirer who's a bit of a show off by the sounds of it; levitating petals."

"A petal." Nyx corrected.

"Yeah, they should go the whole hog and get you an actual rose next time." Ronnie chuckled. "Then you could wear it in your hair all romantically. Can't do much with a petal."

"I'm actually seeing someone, for your information." Nyx told her.

"Ooh. They in here?"

"No."

"Well..." Ronnie said teasingly. "They wouldn't have to know if you did... get curious."

Nyx gasped and elbowed her playfully; making Ronnie squeal and elbow her back. "Ooh, Ronnie, you're bad."

Getting stern looks from the attendants, they quickly quieted down their antics; going back to their extremely abstract artworks for a while before Nyx finally spoke again. "I don't think I like the idea of someone coming into my room without me knowing, though."

Ronnie snorted loudly. "If you think we get any privacy in here, you're in for a rude awakening."

***

Neither of the girls felt exactly comfortable making their way to the Doctor's offices. The memory of the incident the previous day was extremely fresh, and kept playing on their minds as they walked up the stairs and down the hallway; on guard for any strange sounds or unexpected presences in their path.

As they huddled close together for comfort, Ronnie spoke in an effort to distract them. "So which Doctor have you actually ended up with?"

Nyx chuckled weakly. "I actually don't know. I had Doctor Johnson at the beginning of the week but that didn't work out, I was supposed to have Doctor Montgomery yesterday but that got cancelled for... Obvious reasons. So I just don't know anymore."

The question was answered not moments later, heralded by the clicking of a pair of red high-heels down the hallway.

"Ronnie, darling." Doctor Hannan greeted with a wide smile. "I hope you don't mind, but you're with Doctor Johnson today. It's only temporary, don't worry. Nyx... Am I pronouncing that right? You're with me today, dear."