The Collide

"... Doctor Johnson?" Nyx called out softly, peeking around the office door. "Are you alright?"

And then she looked up.

The creature hung in swirling darkness above their heads, the limp body of Doctor Johnson in its grasp. The demon shrieked an ungodly shriek and reached for them with its dark tentacles.

"RUN!" Nyx yelled, pushing the others out the door and into the hallway.

They pelted it down the hallway, the monster crashed in a gelatinous heap into the hallway behind them to give chase.

"In... that office... there!" Nyx pointed between panted breaths. They all raced inside, closing Doctor Montgomery's door behind them.

"Where is everyone when you need them?" Ronnie gasped, as Perry moved to use the doctor's chair to barricade the door. She and Nyx leant against it, holding it closed.

They listened, until the sounds of the beast outside ebbed away. And then, after a moment, there was a soft knock at the door.

"Hello? Who's in there?"

"It's Doctor Hannan." Ronnie mouthed.

"I saw you run in there. I don't know what you're playing at, come out this instant!"

"The demon's out there." Ronnie hissed. "It might get her. Should we let her in?"

"Wait." Perry growled through gritted teeth.

"Oh, don't be ridiculous!" Suddenly, they were all thrown from the door, having unconsciously relaxed whilst speaking; as Hannan, with surprising strength, forced it open. She eyed them all as they stood before her in a defensive huddle. "You three? What are you up to?"

"There's a demon outside!" Ronnie blurted. "It chased us!"

Hannan took a breath and tutted softly. "No, there isn't."

"Yes!"

Hannan held up her hands as if trying to calm a spooked animal. "Want to know what I think? I think you're all just very stressed, and scared, and very... sick. Poor darlings. I'll take care of it for you. Come here, let me."

Her voice was like heavy perfume; soft and soothing. She was so sure; and the trio couldn't help but feel sure of what she was saying too.

"I know, it's scary. But that's what I'm here for. Don't worry, its just all in your heads.

Nyx saw her reach towards them with her gentle, doll-like hands, heels tapping lightly against the floor as she approached; saw her kind eyes and soft strawberry hair; saw the black on the corner of her lips, and the savage points of her teeth.

Perry reacted almost as she did. "Don't trust her, she isn't-!"

Nyx broke away, darting across the room, behind the desk to in front of the window, drawing the woman's attention. The sweets, the questions, the prodding, the blackouts, her constant, ever-joyous attitude, the way she would conveniently appear- things were clicking into place.

Hannan pressed her lips together, amusement twinkling in her eyes. "Of course it's you." She tutted, shaking her head. "You don't listen, do you? You had a chance, you should have taken it." Her human suit was fraying around the edges; black smearing her mouth and eyes- she wasn't even trying to hold it together. "You've got to learn to keep your nose out of where it's not wanted, little girl. But don't worry, I'll teach you." Her grin grew wider somehow still

The air around Hannan began to ripple, like a shape moving under the water.

Ronnie quaked in Perry's arms.

Standing between them and the door, the creature playing at being Doctor Hannan smiled like a shark scenting blood. "But don't worry. You can trust me. I'm a doctor."

Slowly, Nyx raised her hand to point. "Actually, I think she was a doctor."

Hannan turned. Behind her, the ghost of Berenice screamed. Every window in the building shattered. And the floor dropped out beneath them.