File: Thank You

Montauk Beach was an escape, plain and simple. When they were there, Tony Stark, Percy Jackson, and Bucky Barnes didn't exist. They were only three men who needed time to themselves, time to build their lives back to how it was before. It was a slow process- years upon years of hurt and heartache couldn't just be washed away- but the cabin really did seem to help.

Adding Bucky into the Percy-Tony relationship was surprisingly easy once they realized they were basically dating each other already. The soldier was understanding with their boundaries as well, which was perfect. Tony didn't like water or having his chest touched, while Percy didn't appreciate excessive amounts of physical contact if he didn't initiate it first. The son of Poseidon also didn't appreciate talking 0ne-on-one with anyone without a person at least in the other room. Having JARVIS around the Tower seemed to work perfectly for him.

Bucky didn't like anyone to touch his left shoulder tightly, seeing as his scars were a bit tender, and he did not feel comfortable being shirtless around anyone unless it was Tony since he did repairs on his prosthetic. He also could not be around large crowds of people, wary of any HYDRA agents lurking around, and could not leave the Tower without Tony, Percy, or Clint accompanying him.

Clint was surprisingly helpful in keeping people away from Bucky, inventing hilarious excuses to keep his attention. Once when there were fireworks happening downtown for some reason or another, he took Bucky to a roof and set up sniper rifles so they could watch the show without hearing too much of it.

Bucky could proudly say that he was maybe finding a best friend in Clint Barton. Sure, he had Stevie but it was refreshing having someone else as well to fall back on. He was healing, slowly but steadily, just as everyone kept saying, and his therapist had told him that Percy and Tony would be good for him if he only let himself have good things.

So, when Tony kissed him and Percy held him close, he let himself have it. He let himself join the relationship he thought he'd never have. After a discussion with the two men, Bucky couldn't believe he never even tried because now he could hold two people's hands and give them hugs and kisses. He could tell two people he loved them and, maybe someday, he'll hear them say it back. There wasn't anything Bucky could think of that would be better than that.

Now, Tony and Bucky sat on a blanket on the sand while Percy swam in the ocean, occasionally coming out to bother them and get drops of water everywhere. The son of Poseidon would grin cheekily at them, the sun shining behind him, and Bucky and Tony would both sigh like they could finally breathe again after being underwater for too long. Every time Percy reached out for them, every time he spoke softly and with care, they knew that he was handing him a piece of his broken heart, trusting them not to shatter it beneath their boots.

Simultaneously, when Tony would get a new idea in his head, he would run into the cabin to write it down and Bucky and Percy, no matter what they were doing, would follow him inside so that they could listen to him ramble even if they knew nothing of what he was talking. There was something beautiful in the way Tony's eyes lit up when he spoke with JARVIS about ideas, like the future was looking back at them through the gaze of a man stuck in the presence. It was breath-taking and wonderful, scary and awe-inspiring- so utterly Tony that it wasn't surprising at all.

Tony and Percy would make Bucky things, a small metal figurine from the genius or an ice sculpture from the water-user, because they loved the way his eyes lit up and his lips would curve into a smile when he discovered something new. Most of the time, the figurines and sculptures were flowers because of the soldier's recent love for the plants. He enjoyed gardening, helping something to live rather than causing death with his hands.

Bucky found that he could sit on the beach all day and watch as Tony attempted to make an elaborate sand castle while Percy ran back and forth with a blob of water hovering over his head. It was relaxing, no expectations to be found except for the castle Tony boasted that he could make. Closing his eyes, Bucky let himself get lost in the voices of his lovers.

"Hey."

Bucky opened his eyes, lifting his hand a bit to block the sun, to see that Percy had laid down belly-first on the sand next to him. The son of Poseidon's hair, despite the fact that he didn't have to get wet, was damp and water droplets cascade down his neck and back. The soldier followed them with his eyes, the ones that disappeared over battle scars scattered across Percy's body, some made by enemies and others made by the demigod's own hands.

Taking a quiet shuttering breath, Bucky couldn't help but run a gentle finger over one of the scars on the demigod's wrist. He lifted up the black-haired man's hand and kissed the visible scars softly. Everything was quiet and, when he looked up, Percy was gazing back at him with something like awe, the demigod's lips quivering for a moment.

"Thank you," Bucky whispered softly, running a thumb ever-so gently on the demigod's wrist. 'Thank you for being here. Thank you for not taking the plunge. Thank you for letting me be able to meet you, love you, and care for you. Thank you, thank you, thank you.'

Percy shook his head, leaning forward to capture Bucky's lips in a kiss. No words were spoken, as there wasn't anything that could be said that wouldn't sound hollow in the face of such open sincerity. Percy didn't know what to say anyways, couldn't fathom that there was someone other than Tony, who gently kiss each scar he found at night, that would say thank you for him just living. It was... breathtaking and heart-wrenching and beautiful.

Tony moved to sit on Percy's other side, reaching over to thread his fingers with the demigod's, his eyes crinkling as he smiled against Percy's lips when the son of Poseidon turned to kiss him as well.

Who knew that the man with the cracked soul would find solace in the man with a shredded mind and the demigod with a broken heart? Tony didn't know but he was so grateful for it because he had grown up with no to carry his heart but a fatherly butler who couldn't hold him for long.

Once upon a time, as all stories tend to go, three lonely men, after war and kidnappings and heart break, found a home in each other when they had thought they would be alone all their lives. Sitting in the sand, hand-in hand as they watched the tide come in and out and the seagulls cry overhead, Bucky, Percy, and Tony knew, for a fact this time, that they would truly be okay for the first time in a long, long while.

"Welcome to the future," Bucky whispered, staring up at the clouds, and he feel Tony and Percy's eyes on him for a moment, though he never turned to see what they might be thinking about. "Wait, does this mean I have kids now?"

"And grandbabies," Tony mumbled, sounding half-asleep where he leaned on Percy's shoulder.

Bucky grinned widely, a happy sort of thing he didn't have for a long while because he had everything he didn't think he deserved to have. He had two lovers and children and grandchildren to taken care of. He had everything he ever dreamt of, everything his mother told him when he was little that he was going to have. "Awesome."

Xxxxxxxxxxx

Words: 1,333

Song: Can You Hold Me - NF

this is not the end of the book at all. next chapter will mainly be about the grandbabies and how they interact with Nico and Peter. also, maybe next chapter Thor and Loki meet a family member they haven't seen yet?? owo??

heheh

stay tuned!

-- Yuki :D