.04

Ugly Sweaters
_________________

It's not really something that Liam had the chance to experience when he was a child; opening those delicately wrapped presents from grandma every year, which always contain a new homemade sweater. They usually smell like old people and feel awkward on the body, but love is their main material, which gives everyone the motivation to wear them during the cold winter months.

Consequently, when Niall brings out his bin of holiday sweaters, Liam always feels a little left out. The brown–eyed boy's grandma never knitted him anything nice for Christmas— she didn't even share the little butterscotch candies that Liam always saw hidden in her purse.

And, being the caring boyfriend that he is, Niall always notices how Liam's lip juts out in a pout and his gaze falls when their heavy on the topic, making him feel guilty for even bringing it up. He scoots close to the other lad and places a warm hand on his knee, rubbing over the material of his plaid pajama pants.

They talk about it for a while until Liam is feeling better, and Niall's face always lights up like a little bulb on a Christmas tree when he figures out how to cheer his love up. He'll dig through the sweaters until he finds one that's big enough, presenting it to Liam like it's the cure for cancer, a huge smile adorning his features.

Liam always slips it on with a blush, silently cooing at how Niall giggles when the neck–hole gets stuck around his head. When it's on, he pulls Niall close, kissing him through their massive grins.

Quiet "I love you's" drift throughout the cabin, with the crackling fire singing the harmony to their love song. And Liam knows that he's never felt this way before— never loved someone so much in his entire life.

Niall knows it too.