.12

Peculiar Proposal
_________________

        The clinking of forks on plates and random mindless chatter is all that can be heard as Niall and Liam eat, kind of unnerved by the lack of privacy their chosen restaurant offers. It had looked like a quaint place from the outside but, as soon as they had walked in, they were introduced to the hustle and bustle of one of London's most famous five-star eateries.

       They do this a lot; go out to eat- just the two of them, mind you- when they don't have anything else planned with the band. Liam always makes up some lame excuse as to why they can't stay back at the hotel with the boys, who always end up drinking and screaming as they play FIFA on the PS3. He stutters and blushes, obviously not telling the truth, but Harry usually just chuckles, winks, and tells Liam that he hopes he has a good time out with his favorite blond lad.

       Unlike his boyfriend, Niall isn't so private about the their ordeals. Honestly, can you really blame him? He just gets so excited and bubbly when Liam takes him out, and can't help but gush about it to everyone that he knows. Louis laughs at him, but it doesn't phase Niall.

        The fact that he gets the honor of going out on a fancy date with his man, doesn't leave room for shyness.

       It's not just the uncanny lack of personal space this restaurant offers that makes the night feel so different from all of the others. Niall feels on edge for some reason, almost as if he's anticipating something he has no idea about.

       Liam's nervous body language isn't exactly helping either. The brown-eyed lad keeps wiping his brow with the cloth napkins on their table, biting his lip and looking around anxiously. And, if that isn't enough to make Niall feel sort of out-of-place, there's also the fact that Liam is bouncing his knee against the table, shaking all of their dinnerware and even Niall himself.

       Niall asks the other lad if he's okay, several times, but Liam just stutters out a positive response and allows a shaky smile to grace his features.

       Let's just say, by the end of the night, Niall is beyond confused.

       It's not until they've left the restaurant and Liam has them huddled up beside of a random park's water fountain, when Niall realizes what's going on. The little speech that the older lad introduces is enough to give him a hint, and then Liam is getting down on one knee and pulling a little velvet box out of his shirt pocket.

       There are tears shining back at him through Niall's blue eyes, making Liam release a nervous breath. It took him so long to gather the courage to plan all of this out and, so far, things are going fairly good.

       The question is asked and Niall stays quiet, holding his open mouth in shock. It makes Liam's heart stutter because, what if he says 'no'? What if Niall doesn't want to spend the rest of his life with him?

       But then, a tiny 'yes' echoes throughout the little clearing, and Liam almost chokes on his own saliva. His body is numb as he places the ring on Niall's left hand, bringing his boy into a bone-crushing hug as the blond's giggles fill the air.

       This is, without a doubt, the best day of his life. Nothing he has ever experienced amounts to this moment, right now, where the love of his life has made him the happiest man on the earth.

       "I love you so much, Li." Niall says, staring at Liam as if the other lad has given him the world.

       "I love you too, baby. And you'll be happy to know that I have lived up to my New Year's Resolution." A wink follows the brown-eyed boy's words and Niall can't contain his grin.