Chapter 39

That night Anna made Raj dinner, He was so excited to try what she made. She served him and waited. He ate a mouthful, it was truly divine – but he decided to joke a little.

"Its...er great" He said making a face.

"What? Oh no, did I put something wrong in" She quickly took a spoonful and tasted it, it tasted fine. Raj started laughing, she loved seeing him laugh – he looked genuinely happy.

"Oh a little joker are you now?" she said pretending to be angry. "I'm never cooking for you again" She got up and walked away still feigning anger. He got up and came behind her. She was smiling looking at the ceiling. This is exactly what she wanted. He put him arms around her waist and then decided to tickle her instead.

"Raj no no no" She screamed laughing hard. "Stooop" She ran away and he chased her. "I cook for you and this is the thanks I get?" She joked.

He stopped chasing her and leaned against the wall looking at her. She was spectacular and he couldn't resist her, this was getting so hard. Anna stopped running and looked around for Raj – then noticed him staring.

"Quit it!"
"Do you know how beautiful you are?"

"No I don't think so, tell me" She joked, walking toward him.

"I'm mesmerised. You know, I've loved you since we were eighteen"

"Oh really? But you were in America then"

"I know, ever wondered why I never had a girlfriend – I was thinking about you"

"I just thought you weren't interested in girls" She laughed

"Why didn't you ever have a boyfriend then?"

"Maybe I didn't want one!"

"Or maybe, you just wanted one?" He giggled cheekily.

"You seem so much happier – more than you were when you came back to India"

"I am, I have you – My heart is full"

"Oh I see" She walked closer to him and then put her arms around his neck. "Don't be so selfless Raj, If you wanted me that badly you could have had me a long time ago"

"I couldn't – I would never trick you"

"Or hurt me, I know" She hugged him tightly "I love you"

"I love you too, by the way – the food is delicious" He took her by the hand and went back to the table.

They ate dinner and went to their separate rooms. Anna rested her head onto the soft pillow and closed her eyes. She felt so happy. A little while later she heard the rustling of bushes outside her balcony door. She froze, frightened of what it might be. She heard footsteps outside her door, Maybe it was Raj trying to sneak into her room she thought. That cheeky guy! She sat up in bed and went to the balcony door then slowly peered through the curtain. The shadow of a man, made her heart beat faster. He wasn't the right build to be Raj, Anna froze unable to move. She was terrified.

She forced herself to walk toward the other door; she needed to get out of the room. She fumbled at the lock but suddenly the lock on the balcony door clicked open. She froze once more, her mouth felt dry. The door slid open and the man entered the room. Anna screamed.

He hadn't expected her to be awake, the quickly slid back out and left the door open. The wind blew the curtains in, creating a ghostly shape.

Raj sprang out of bed and ran to Anna's room. He banged on the door.
"Anna! Open up! What's wrong?"
"Raj!! Someone's in my room" Anna screamed with her eyes closed.

"Well open the door!"

She stood up slowly, with her eyes closed – praying no one would attack. She quickly unlocked the door and Raj came crashing in. After some time of looking around Raj sat on Anna's bed and sighed.

"There's no one here Anna"

"There was!"

"Hmmm"

"Look the door is open" She pointed at the space where the Curtin was flowing in the wind. "He was there, I swear"

"I believe you..." Raj was deep in thought.

"Raj, I want to leave!" Anna said sitting next to him.

"If you're scared we can leave" He said not knowing what else to do. "But If you want to stay, we can enjoy the rest of this week – I promise I won't let anything happen"

Anna thought for awhile. She felt so scared; she didn't even think she could sleep a lone again. But she wanted to spend time with Raj – this could be the last chance they get and she didn't want to give it up for anything.

"Okay we'll stay a bit longer"

"Let me go get my pillow"

"Why?" Anna was surprised.

"I'll sleep on the floor here – I won't leave you a lone"

"Good Idea, but you won't sleep a lone – I can't let you do that" She would never sleep on the bed while he slept on the floor.

Raj went to get his pillow and some sheets. He came back and laid them on the floor and got ready to sleep. Anna came and held his hand.

"No Raj – Either I will sleep on the floor or we can both sleep on the bed"

"Anna....We can't"

"It's nothing bad – There's plenty of room to share"

"But...."

"It's only bad if you think its bad, otherwise it's just two friends sharing" She smiled and picked up his pillow and led him to the bed.