Chapter 11

"Happy birthday Anna" He said smiling – his dimples made her heart falter. He gave her the envelope and hugged her. She didn't want to let go and held onto him for as long as she could.

"Raj! You're late! That's not like you" Jai pipped in, disturbing the hug.

"I know, the car wouldn't start" Raj said. He looked tired, as usual.

"So can we have cake now?" Anna asked feeling like a little girl. "Oh wait! Where's Mama? And Papa?"

"They've gone out to get you a gift" Raj said smiling.

"Were you guys all in on this surprise?"

"Yup!" Jai said. "By the way the Ball in next month, so get everything ready soon okay? I know what you're like with dresses and things" he said smirking.

She aimed a punch at him and he dodged. "Shut up!"

"Lets cut the cake – you're parents will be here later with food" Raj said smiling at the two of his friends fighting. They were always like this! They sang for her and she cut the cake eagerly. She fed both of them and they both fed her, it was like old times and she loved it!

Her parents came closer to lunch time and they sat together at the table to eat lunch. They had brought nice hot food from the nearby restaurant, the one Anna used to love to eat from. Their present to Anna was a long red ball gown.

"Wear it to the ball darling" her mother said as she opened the gown box. It was beautiful and Anna was even more excited to attend the ball.

She lay in bed that night thinking about the lovely day. Raj had left in the afternoon saying he had to an appointment and Jai left even later than that. She thought about Jai's present and each time butterflies sprang up in her stomach, making her nervous yet excited for the ball. He had given her such a thoughtful present and she was smiled to herself and vowed to make the night special. But she didn't know how to dance!
All of a sudden she remembered Raj. He had brought her something too and she hadn't looked at it! She ran downstairs and found Raj's envelope on the counter where she had placed it before cutting the cake. She took it back up to her room and jumped onto her bed, getting comfortable on her stomach.

What could it be, she thought to herself. She opened the card and a small slip of paper fell out. She left it and read the card

To my dear Anna

I couldn't think of anything to get for you, nothing was worthy enough. She smiled at this line.

These are IOU's – 3 of them to be precise. If you ever want anything from me or want me to do something for you, you can use these and I will do anything you request. Only three times though!

I only wish the best for you and want to see a smile on your beautiful face everyday.

Always loving you as a dear friend – Raj

She felt her heart becoming heavier at his final words. As a friend. Only a friend. His gift was so personal! She held onto his IOU's – three pieces of paper and fell asleep. He came to her In her dreams that night – They were dancing in the rain. He moved his hand up her back and they glided around and around, both soaked. She was against his chest and he pulled her closer, cramming their bodies together. She felt the warmth of his skin under his shirt as the water had soaked it thin. He looked into her eyes and leaned in to kiss her. The water dripped from his face to her lips and she wanted him to hurry up. He smiled charmingly and kissed her cheek, slowly moving toward her lips.

The alarm rang loudly and Anna fell out of her bed in shock. DAM!!

She got back into bed rubbing her head. She snoozed on the alarm and went back to sleep. A few moments later someone jumped on her bed which shook her awake once again.

"arghhhh let me sleep mama!" she whined.

The person shook the bed somemore.

"C'mooonnn Im sleepy!"

"It's me" His voice rang in her ears and she shot up.