Chapter 27

Anna sat on her bed later that night feeling extremely angry. Why the hell was Raj doing with another woman during the time he was meant to be teaching her? She felt a little betrayed that he was even with another woman, but she didn't want to be a crazy jealous girl so she shrugged that feeling off.

Raj arrived home a little after ten.

"How was your appointment?" His mother called out from the kitchen

"It was fine Maa"

"Raj, there's something you're not telling me"

"Maa, there's nothing – stop worrying" Raj said as he walked toward his room. He walked passed his deceased fathers framed photo on the way and felt a tinge of guilt, the same guilt he felt everyday. He also felt bad for missing the dance lesson; he hadn't even called Anna to cancel. He decided to ring her.
After trying for a little while he gave up. She wasn't picking up. He knew why, she was probably angry at him for standing her up. He would go to see her the next morning he thought. He felt tired and a little hopeless that night as he lay in bed unable to sleep. He hadn't received the update he had yearned for.

Anna woke up the next morning and saw Raj sitting on the side of her bed. She pretended to sleep more so he would eventually give up and leave.

"I know your awake, I saw your eyes open" he said gently

"Dam" Anna cursed under her breath, hoping he had heard.

"Anna I'm really sorry for not coming last night, I know I should have called – but something big came up"

"Yea whatever" She dismissed him. She couldn't think of anything else to say.

"I'm really sorry"

"I said whatever" she snapped

"Anna You're still so very angry"

"OH really? How did you know?" She replied sarcastically.

"How can I make it up to you?"

"I'm going to kill whoever let you into the house"

"That would be your mum" He said smiling gently.

"I'm going to tell both parents never to let you in!"

"Anna, please give me a chance – I'm trying so hard to make it up to you"

"Yea sure"

"I'm really sorry Anna" He said again feeling bad.

"I said OKAY now leave!" She felt hysterical.

He felt hopeless and tired. A sudden bout of dizziness caught him by surprise and he held his head for a couple of seconds. He looked at her, lying under her covers with her eyes closed. She hadn't seen.

"I'll do anything to make it up – I had a really important appointment"

"What was the appointment?"

"Nothing big"

"You said it was really important, go on tell me"

"I can't"

"I know why you can't"

"Why?"

"You tell me one day you love me then the next your sitting at a restaurant with another woman, how can you possibly make that sound good" she hissed.

"What? No! Anna"

"Oh stop it!" she snapped.

"Anna, I'm serious – that wasn't the appointment I had to attend, that was an unexpected hassle that I had to handle"

"What was this hassles name?"

"Mahi"

"What! You were out with HER?" She felt angrier than ever.

"She's been calling my house and I had to sort it out"

"What did you sort out then?"

"She wanted to try our relationship again – and I said NO" he added quickly seeing the look on her face.
"Still doesn't explain why you ditched me – why you couldn't even call me to let me know" She felt angry and wanted to take it out on him in some way.

"That was entirely my fault. I got distracted and I know I'm in the wrong"

"What distracted you?"

"Something that may have changed both our lives – but its gone now, no more distractions"

"Stop talking in this cryptic manner! What is with you – you're hiding so many things from me!"

"I'm sorry for everything Anna – the time isn't right to tell anyone anything"

"Jai knows – I know he knows, so why can't you tell me!"

"Because it will hurt you"

"Then isn't it better I know now so I can make my mind up?"

"Sometimes I feel that, but I prefer you not to suffer – you can have a couple more months of peace, without knowing – then you will know and I know how sad you will be for awhile"

"OMG Raj, you're really scaring me now" she said her anger dissipating. What was he talking about?

"Don't be scared, its nothing important" he lied. But his lies were conflicting with each other and making Anna confused.

"If it's not important then you can tell me here and now!" She screamed.

"It's not important in the sense that, you will find out in some more months, for now it's not important"

"Oh god you're impossible! And for your information I AM NOT HAPPY! Even for those months I'll be suffering because I know your keeping secrets and I also know you don't want to be with me!"

"I can't...." Raj got up and went to the door. "I just can't explain anything"

"Ufffff! Just leave" She said into her pillow and cried as she heard her door close. She cried until her heart ached and her Jaw hurt.

Her door opened a little while later.

"Go away Raj!!!" She screamed into her pillow again.

"It's me" Jai's voice rang into her ears.
She pulled her head up and looked at him standing there. She sprang up and ran to him and buried her face into his chest and cried in pain.