Chapter One Hundred & Twenty-Nine | Fourth World

Start from the beginning

The day after he had discovered this new location, he himself was spotted as well. Everyone knew his face, and more importantly that he wasn't a threat, so they didn't shoo him away nor encourage him to join. Finch also had no intention of starting a conversation as he used this opportunity to escape from such a thing.

But it was a man who looked to be around a similar age to Falcon, who impaired Finch's view. He had no hesitations about popping up in front of Finch and asking him why he was sitting in a tree alone. A good question, but one Finch ignored. But the man— Thorn— quickly made a name for himself as he repeatedly tried to engage him in a conversation. Through the art of harassment.

He leant his back against the trunk of the tree, folding his arms over his chest and propping a leg up. "I heard some whispers again." Thorn announced and Finch immediately rolled his eyes. The man liked to tease him by telling ridiculous rumours, or ones that could possibly be the truth but Finch had no idea who they were referring to.

"Our honourable leader's nephew, the legendary Falcon, has been spotted sleeping underground. He always preferred to sleep away from us all, in his home in the trees to be precise, but now that a certain creature has taken up residence there he has fled to the safety of underground. I've heard that perhaps there's some tension between the little chick and the bird of prey." Thorn quirked an eyebrow as he tilted his head back to look up at Finch.

He was greeted by an acorn hitting his face.

"Your stories are getting more and more ridiculous," Finch admitted.

"But it's the one that made you talk to me."

Finch scoffed, "Because you're well and truly barking up the wrong tree."

"I'm what?"

"I'm worried that you're convinced you can get something from me, by telling me rumours that mostly involve myself."

The edges of Thorn's lips twitched, "What could I get?"

"Something sharper than an acorn?"

Thorn laughed and the deep scar that ran across his cheek crinkled as he did. His laugh was genuine and hearty and showed no sign of embarrassment to his pride from Finch's rejection. But instead of completely laughing it off, he turned to face Finch sitting in the tree and shrugged his shoulders. "You're prettier than most, little bird, but knowing who else has acknowledged your good looks, I'm not going to even risk it."

Finch didn't even have to ask. He felt the weight of the token in his ear, and then the shyness that followed whenever someone mentioned it. He looked away from the gossip of a man who visibly appeared to have seen a fair share of bloodshed. But like most, he didn't hide his scars. Though a chatterbox, Finch got the impression that Thorn was someone who was smart enough to take advantage of a situation if it could benefit himself. That wasn't necessarily a flaw, but it was something Finch felt apprehensive about.

"Then what do you want from me?"

"Says the one who spends most of his time hiding from people."

Finch narrowed his eyes, "Did you ever think that it's perhaps this absence of people that I wanted? I'm not used to many people surrounding me, asking me questions."

"Your avoiding people looks to me like you're waiting for someone. Someone I may have mentioned earlier." Thorn replied with an irritating confidence to his voice. He didn't pull his punches, looking Finch directly in the eyes as the pair silently battled. Finch glowered, Thorn grinned.

"I'm not a child who craves protection."

Thorn shook his head lightly, the expression on his face never changing. "I never compared your feelings for him as that of a child's to their parents."