"We built an empire out of those villages," his father said through his teeth. 

"And yet you could never take Khepri." 

"It was only a matter of time before -- "

"Play nice," the Sylph interrupted, her voice low and smooth. 

Everyone seemed startled by her interruption. Damon could see the fear in their eyes, the thing that bound them together. He resisted the urge to clench his fists. 

"Do the Thraelians know we're coming?" his father said finally, his voice even and measured again. 

"There have been no scouts captured," Venira said, much more amicably. "Though Thrael is notorious for their talented spies." 

"My sister has reached Zephyrine," the Sylph said. "They know we are coming." 

His father blinked. "And when were you going to share this with us?" 

"Right now," the Sylph replied. 

His father seemed to struggle with words, something that Damon was not used to seeing. King Wilhelm was always in control of every situation, and if he wasn't, then he made it so. He loathed to see his father sputtering before this monster. 

"So then we forgo stealth for speed," Queen Cordelia said. "It is better this way." 

Damon studied the map. Though Thrael was infamous for it's unbreachable citadels, with Elohine and Khepri's forced combined it was only a matter of time before they fell. 

Not to mention, their forces could be replenished. 

"Are we certain we will have to fight?" Damon mused, not fully aware he had spoken aloud until he felt his father's piercing gaze on him. 

"Thrael will never surrender," Queen Venira said. "Especially now that the other Sylph is with them. They will think they have a chance. And even if they didn't, they would fight to the death anyway. It is their way." 

"But certainly we could try and reason with them," he said. "Our forces are unstoppable, they must know that." 

"They are impossibly stubborn," King Wilhelm said. "We have been trying to negotiate a trade deal with them for years, and they rebuff us every time, no matter how attractive I make the offer. They want nothing to do with outsiders, no matter who they are." 

Damon frowned. "Shouldn't we at least offer surrender before we attack?" 

Venira raised an eyebrow. The Sylph, which had remained still and expressionless for nearly the entire meeting, cocked its head as its eyes bored into him.

His father laughed. "I apologize for my son. He is young, and inexperienced at war." 

The rebuke stung, but he tried to keep from showing it. His mother squeezed his hand. 

"We need complete control of Thrael in order to take Greze," his mother said. "I know it seems cruel, but they aren't giving us any other option." 

Damon nodded. "I apologize. I was simply trying to be merciful." 

Queen Venira smiled coldly. "Before long, you will realize that mercy is a weakness, and you will abandon it." 

Damon swallowed. He hoped he never became so unfeeling as to abandon mercy. 

His father smiled politely. "Anyway. On to strategy." 

Damon didn't dare speak again. He found himself lost in thought and neglected to pay attention for the rest of the meeting. His mother nudged him gently when it was over, jolting him from his thoughts. She walked him back to his tent. 

"Goodnight, Mother," he said. 

"Damon, wait," she said before he could go into his tent. "Are you alright?" 

"I'm fine, Mother," he said, attempting a smile. 

She sighed. "War is ugly. It forces us to make difficult choices." 

"I've been training for war, for difficult choices, my entire life," Damon said. "I don't understand why it doesn't come easily to me now." 

"It's because you have a kind heart." 

"A lot of good that does me." 

She took his hand. "Damon, people will tell you that kindness, that mercy, is a weakness as a leader. Even your father has told me that. But don't let them convince you. Don't let them destroy that part of you. No matter what they say, your kind heart is your greatest strength. Let it guide you in all you do." 

Looking into his mother's eyes, he suddenly knew he needed to tell her. "Mother, there -- "

"Just don't let it keep you from doing what needs to be done," she said. "There is a balance, my son. And someday you'll find it, and you'll be the greatest king the land has ever known." 

His confession dried up in his mouth. 

Tears welled in his eyes.

"Don't cry!" she said, wiping his cheeks. "I know the crown is heavy. But your father and I will be here to help you carry it." 

He nodded, and she pulled him in for a hug. He clung to her, wishing he knew what to do. 

She pulled back and kissed his cheek. "There, there. Get some sleep, dear. We have a long day tomorrow." 

"Yes, Mother." 

"Are you alright now?" 

"Yes, Mother." 

"Do you promise?" 

He laughed. "I'm fine." 

She nodded. "Alright. Goodnight, dear." 

"Goodnight." 

He watched her go, wondering what she would think of him if she knew the truth.