Chapter 34

The next morning, they once again gathered into Yaya's wagon, struggling to fit all nine of them in the small space. Yaya made them tea, and biscuits and fruit were passed around. Rhiannon took them gratefully, missing her sumptuous meals at the palace. 

"So, I asked around last night, and consulted the cards," Yaya said. "It seems the only Fae left that we know of would be in the White Forest. I heard rumors that some hid in the mountains with the Tolish, blending in with their pale hair. Some had heard legends of a giant turtle who had carried some of the Fae away, and took them out to sea."

"What nonsense," Jaida scoffed. Rhiannon bit her lip to hold back a smile. Though it could be frustrating, she had always admired Jaida's bluntness. 

"Fairytales can contain truth," Julian said around a mouthful of biscuit. Jaida rolled her eyes. 

"That's true," Yaya said, smiling at Julian. He beamed back at her. "However, Fae probably didn't escape on a turtle. In ancient Grezian, the words for turtle and island were very similar. Perhaps the legend describes Fae escaping to an island." 

"Where would this island be?" Vess asked. She sat unnaturally still, her eyes focused on Yaya. Rhiannon wished she could have a gaze as intimidating as Vess's. 

Yaya grimaced. "We have no way to know. My best guess would be somewhere near the Koios Strait; lots of strange things happen around there. It reeks of magic." Vess blinked. 

"What is the Koios Strait?" Cerridwen asked. 

"A body of water surrounded by cliffs off the western coast of the continent," Freya said. "Most people who go in don't come out." 

Malik sighed. "Finding Fae seems to be impossible. Why not look for human allies instead?"

"Roltandre could corrupt them," Vess said simply. 

"Corrupt them? How?" Rhiannon asked. 

"Bribe them. What human wouldn't turn down eternal life? Who would hate someone who brought their lost loved ones back to them?" Vess said. "Humans are far more willing to abandon their morals to get what they want most. The rest will submit to fear. We can't trust humans."

"Not entirely," Cerridwen said. Everyone turned to her. "I fell into a trance last night. Roltandre has only reached the largest empire on the continent, and a land of fire and water. We still have time to reach some of the humans."

"Elohine and Khepri," Rhiannon said. She felt the blood drain from her face as she pictured her home in the clutches of such dark magic. She wondered how Venira had succumbed, and if she was still alive; if she were, Rhiannon vowed to kill her herself.  

"That's all she will need. With their combined power, she can conquer the rest by force," Julian said, pulling on his curls. A thick silence fell over them as they contemplated the horrors they faced. 

"That is why we need the Fae," Vess said finally. 

"They might not even exist anymore!" Malik said. "We can't rely on them to save us. We need to join the human armies together if we hope to stand any chance against her." 

"So we go to Tole first," Rhiannon said. "It's closest, and we can recruit Fae and humans. From there, we go west. We'll have to avoid Greze; they would kill the Sylph and any who helped them the first chance they had. Instead, we'll go to Thrael. They have never been conquered, not even by Elohine, and Jaida is from there, so she can help us. Once we are established at Thrael, we can send a party down the west coast to search for this Fae island." The group sat in silence for a moment, stunned. Rhiannon stared them down, her shoulders back and her chin raised. 

"I believe that is the wisest plan, my queen," Jaida said. Rhiannon squeezed Jaida's hand in thanks, the exchange hidden under the folds of her skirt, which was bunched around where they sat. 

"What about the White Forest?" Freya asked. Rhiannon frowned; she couldn't imagine why the girl would want to go back in there. 

"We've already searched there," Vess said. "We follow Rhiannon's plan. It is our best chance at getting ahead of Roltandre." No one spoke. "Gather your things. We leave in an hour." 

The sun had just begun to burn away the morning mist when they set out. Freya was the last to join the party, caught up in her goodbyes with Yaya. With one last crushing hug, Yaya let her go, waving as the group left the herd of caravans and headed north. Rhiannon looked back at the kind woman, only a smudge in the distance by now. She wondered what it would be like to have someone like her watching over you, taking care of you. She thought of Elysia, with her warm smile and quiet wisdom. She had just begun to get her first strands of gray when -- well. Rhiannon sniffed and looked forward, staring determinedly at the horizon ahead. 

Once again, they trudged through the yellow plain, the only sound the wind ruffling the grass. No one noticed the two black birds flying overhead, following their every move.