Chapter 27

"I'm dying," Julian wheezed. Sweat was pouring down his face, and his breath rattled in his throat. 

"Not used to exercise, Princeling?" Malik asked, poking him in the stomach. Julian glared at him. 

"Give me your pack," Jaida sighed, rolling her eyes. Julian gratefully handed it over, and Jaida swung it over her other shoulder. "Put your arms up, it will open up your lungs." 

"Everything alright back there?" Cerridwen called. The three Sylph, with their longer strides and better endurance, were a few yards ahead of the humans. 

"Fine," Rhiannon called back. Freya noticed her breath was rather labored as well, but she said nothing. She watched as the princess surreptitiously wiped sweat from her brow. 

"It's very hot," Julian said. "So very, very, very --"

"Hot, yes, we know," Malik groaned. 

"We should be at the meeting place soon," Freya said. 

"How can you know?" Julian complained. "Everything looks the same. Grass, grass, grass, and more -- " 

"Let me guess; grass," Malik said. 

Julian huffed. "You know --"

"Those mountains, in the distance," Freya interrupted, trying to quell the brewing argument. "They form a line, a shape, across the horizon. We use it as a map of sorts. We'll come across a stream soon, and then we can follow it up to the meeting place." In reality, they should have come across the stream some time ago, but Freya said nothing. She hoped they would come across it eventually. Or maybe the path was longer than she remembered?

Then, she heard a soft rushing sound in the distance. She breathed a sigh of relief. "At the stream up ahead, turn north! The stream will take us right to the meeting place," she called. Vess turned and nodded. 

"What stream?" Julian said. "I don't see any stream." 

"Can't you hear it?" Freya said. He shook his head, and she shrugged. 

They reached the stream after another quarter hour of walking. It meandered along, its greenish water sparkling in the hot sun. They all eagerly knelt by the shore and splashed themselves with the cool water, even the Sylph. Julian went ahead and waded in up to his waist. 

"I have never been in this much water before," he laughed. "The only time I've really swam is in my bathtub." 

"Good thing the water's not deep," Jaida said, wetting the back of her neck. Rhiannon laughed. 

"I don't know, I think his soft tummy would keep him afloat," Malik said. 

Julian splashed him. For a moment, Malik looked outraged, but then he laughed and tore into the water after Julian. Julian yelped and tried to run, but his feet were stuck in the muddy bottom of the stream. He dunked Julian, but Julian grabbed his legs and pulled Malik under with him. They both surfaced and shook the water from their heads, laughing. They looked at the girls, giggling on the shore, then at each other, and rushed them. They squealed as they grabbed Rhiannon and Freya, throwing them into the water with a splash. When they came for Jaida, she crouched down with her hands out and wrestled the boys. It took Rhiannon and Freya grabbing her legs and the boys grabbing her arms to get her into the water. She yelled as they dunked her under. 

"Humans! Let's go," Jubil said, rolling his eyes. 

"Oh, don't stop them, this is interesting!" Cerridwen said, clasping her hands together. 

"We must go. Time is not on our side," Vess said. At that, the humans sobered and trudged to shore, wringing out their clothes and slinging on their packs. 

"Don't worry, we're almost there. We'll be there by nightfall if we keep up our pace," Freya said. Vess nodded curtly, and they continued on, the dry grass scratching their skin and crunching under their feet. 

They followed the stream until the sun began to set, painting the yellow grass with splashes of orange and pink. Freya squinted at the graying sky ahead of them. 

"Look," she pointed. "Smoke." 

Vess nodded. "A good sign. We should don our cloaks." The Sylph each pulled long, dark cloaks from their packs and pulled up the large hoods, shrouding their faces in shadow. 

"Are there any defenses?" Jubil asked. 

Freya shook her head. "If you know how to find it, and if you're willing to risk the plains, it is assumed you belong there. If they see a stranger they will question them, but this is a safe place for Jentsi; most people don't know about it. Besides, they'll recognize me -- well, hopefully." 

"Hopefully?" Jubil said. 

Freya sighed. "It's been a while." 

Soon, the source of the smoke, a large bonfire, could be seen, surrounded by a sea of wagons. Music, shouts, and laughter flowed through the air. Colorful rugs were laid out on the grass, and Jentsi who weren't dancing or talking by the fire lounged on them. Paper lanterns, colored glass, and other trinkets were strung up on and between wagons, glimmering in the firelight. 

As they passed the first layer of wagons, Freya's heart began to pound, and she tugged at her head scarf. She led her companions through the chaos, searching for one wagon in particular. 

"This place . . ." Rhiannon breathed, looking around at the flurry of color and sound. 

Jaida wrinkled her nose. "It's wild." 

"It's beautiful," Cerridwen said, laughing delightedly as a child ran by chasing a dog. Malik was tense, looking over his shoulders. Julian stayed closed to Jaida, eyeing the spectacle with a mistrust and fear Freya recognized all too well. 

Finally, she saw a wagon with beaded yellow curtains across the doorway. She rushed toward it, leaving the others to scramble to catch up with her. She stood at the doorway a moment, breathing hard. She opened her mouth to call out, held out her hand to knock, but she froze, unable to bring herself to go inside. 

"Well?" Jubil asked. Freya flinched, and watched her knuckles slowly rap on the doorframe. She heard the creaking of wood from inside as someone came to the door. The curtains pulled aside to reveal an old woman with long, graying hair and warm, brown eyes. 

"Yes?" the woman asked, smiling brightly at the travelers. Freya pulled off her handkerchief, allowing her shoulder length hair to fall around her face. 

"Hello, Yaya," Freya said hesitantly. Yaya's face went slack, and she stood silently for a moment. Freya felt her eyes begin to well with tears.

"I . . . Freya!" Yaya gasped, stumbling down the steps and hugging Freya tightly. When she pulled away, she was weeping, and Freya felt her own tears falling as she smiled. "Oh, Freya, I thought you were dead! Oh, I'm so glad to see you." She looked around Freya at her assorted companions. "Where is your mother? Who are your friends?" 

"That," Freya said, "is a very long story."