Chapter 45

The Captain looked wistfully out the window, wishing she could see her ship. She was still confined to her bed, unable to walk any further than the washroom and back without exhausting herself. Though she became stronger each time Fenno healed her, the process was painful for her and for him, and so he only healed her every few days or so. The rest of the time, she laid alone in bed. 

Boredom loomed over her, threatening to drive her mad. She had requested some books to read, but they were all written in a language she didn't recognize. She had taken to sleeping during the day and waking up at night to watch the stars. Picking out her favorite constellations was comforting and it staved off some of the boredom that ate at her. 

She wondered where her crew was, and what they knew, and what they thought of her. She knew they wouldn't wait for her forever, but some foolish part of her deep down hoped that they would be there in the harbor when she healed. Of all of the places she'd been, of all the lives she'd lived, her crew was the closest thing she had ever had to a family. Losing them would be a blow that would be difficult to recover from. 

The golden rays of the setting sun filtered through her windows, setting her hair aflame. When a servant came in to brush her hair and wipe her down earlier that day, she had requested that she open the windows. She wanted the sea breeze to sweep away her stale stench, and she hoped the smell of the ocean would revive her spirits. Instead, it had only made her long for her ship, for her crew, for the freedom of the open water. Despite herself, tears welled in her eyes. She blinked quickly. It had been a long time since she had cried, and she didn't want to start again now.

With a loud squawk, the falcon that had visited her the week before hurtled through the window, landing on the settee once more. It flapped its wings and stamped its feet to settle itself, its keen eyes watching her closely. 

She smiled for the first time in days. "Hi, friend," she said weakly. "What are you doing here?" 

The falcon crowed back, cocking its head. She thought it almost looked concerned. She laughed to herself. The isolation must be wearing on me, she thought. 

"I didn't think I would see you again. Most birds aren't bold enough to fly through windows and perch on furniture," she said. "Perhaps you know I'm too weak to hurt you, or shoo you off. Once I get my strength back, though -- watch out!" The bird squawked indignantly and flapped its wings. She laughed. "I'm just teasing, friend. It's good to see another living thing, even if it's just a bird. The only company I get is when one of the servants comes to clean me up or bring me meals. And then Fenno comes every few days, but I wouldn't consider that much fun -- I scream until he passes out, and then off he goes." 

The bird tilted its head this way and that, its sharp eyes never leaving her. "What would possess a bird like you to come in here, anyway? Not that I'm complaining. I've been going mad cooped up in here by myself. I asked for some books, and they gave me some old volumes in a language I don't know!" The falcon cried and hopped down the settee. "I know! It's ridiculous. I've studied languages, too, but this one -- I've never seen anything like it. Very frustrating." The falcon cooed sympathetically. "They won't let me see my crew, either. Maybe because they've already left me here to die on this island." She looked at the bird wistfully. "I wish you could speak. Then you could tell me if they're still there, waiting for me." 

The falcon cawed and spread its brown wings, flying out of the same window it came in. She sighed. At least by now, the sun had nearly slipped over the horizon, and she could start to look at the stars. 

At some point, she nodded off, drowsing lightly against the mountain of pillows. She was awoken abruptly by a creak. One of the doors to her room was opening slowly. 

Her heart knocked against her ribcage. No one ever came into her chambers at night. She was too weak to run, and if they blocked her doors, she had nowhere to go anyway. 

The door clicked closed. In the dimness, she saw a shock of white-blonde hair, shuffling towards her bed. She recognized Lorelai, dressed in a lilac silk nightgown and matching robe that trailed to the floor. She approached her bed and sat down, placing her hand on the Captain's arm. 

"Chaska," she whispered. Her bloodshot eyes were open, but the Captain got the sense Lorelai didn't see her. Her expression was blank, her skin thin and translucent. "Chaska!" she repeated, shaking the Captain a little. "Wake up. Wake up. Mother is looking for you." 

"Queen Lorelai," The Captain whispered. "Lorelai, wake up. You're dreaming." 

"Chaska, what is wrong?" Lorelai said. "You . . . your eyes, they are . . . " 

And then Lorelai screamed. 

The Captain jumped. "Lorelai! Lorelai, wake up, it's me -- "

Lorelai grabbed her shoulders and began shaking her violently. "Chaska! Where is she! What have you done with her?" 

"Help!" The Captain screamed. She pushed against Lorelai, but her grip was strong, and she was still weak. She was shaking her so hard, she thought she could feel her brain banging against her skull. Fear pooled in her stomach. "Help! Somebody help!" 

Two of the healers that always came with Fenno rushed in and pulled Lorelai off of her. 

"My Queen! My Queen, you are dreaming, you are dreaming," one said, holding Lorelai tightly. Lorelai fought her for a moment before collapsing into her arms, sobbing. 

"I am so sorry, I must have fallen asleep --" the other healer began, wringing her hands. 

"It's alright, dear. We have been busy lately," the other said. "I will go put the queen back to bed." She nodded. 

"Are you alright?" The healer asked once the weeping Lorelai had been taken from the room. The Captain nodded hesitantly. 

"I'm alright," she said, her voice quivering. "What was that?" 

The healer grimaced. "The queen sleepwalks on occasion." 

"But what --" 

"If there is nothing else, I really must get back to her," the healer said. The Captain, stunned, said nothing, and the healer hurried to the door. At the threshold she stopped. "Oh, and please do not tell King Sidka of this. The Queen would appreciate your discretion." 

"Of course," she said. The healer nodded and started to leave again. "Who is Chaska?" 

The healer stopped in her tracks. For a moment, she didn't think she would get an answer. 

"She was the queen regent's sister," the healer said, so quietly that the Captain almost didn't hear her. The healer scurried away, closing the door quickly behind her, preventing the Captain from asking any more questions. 

She recalled Sidka telling her of his family's demise, and she wondered what had happened to them. She tried to push herself up further and felt a dull pain.

The queen had left bruises on her arms where she had grabbed her.