Chapter 44

Light had only just begun to bleed into the dark sky when they were awoken abruptly and escorted from the camp by several armed warriors. Once outside the camp, the warriors left them with only the clothes on their backs and what little remained in their bags. Freya offered her knife to Malik so he could cut the ropes that still bound the Sylph. They continued west, their backs to the sun, trudging in silence. When Julian turned to look back at the sleeping camp, he saw the tall figure of the chieftan at the top of the hill, watching them go. 

He scoffed to himself. That man was a fool. Just like his father said, no one else could see beyond themselves, and he knew it would be their doom. That was what made his father, and Elohine, so great -- they could see the big picture. 

Julian looked at Rhiannon. She seemed tired. Her hair was limp, and for the first time since he had met her her shoulders were slumped. But he knew she was bold and daring; perhaps if he could just complete his mission, and prove himself to his father, he could fix all of this. 

"Wait," Julian said. Everyone stopped in their tracks and turned back to him, their eyes tired. "Where are we going?" 

Vess blinked. "We are going to Thrael." 

"But why?" Julian asked. 

"Because that is the only place left that will help us," Malik said. He shifted his feet impatiently. His sharp features looked even more gaunt than usual. Freya peeked out from behind him, her face still pale and drawn. 

"Maybe Thrael isn't the best place to go," Julian said. Everyone exchanged glances. 

"Actually," Freya said, "I agree with Julian. I think we need to go back to the forest, and look for Fae there." 

Everyone looked at her in shock. "What? No," Julian said. "I meant -- I was trying to say, we should go to Elohine." 

"Elohine?" Rhiannon scoffed. She stepped towards him. "Are you mad?" 

"I believe I did say that Roltandre had already reached Elohine -- did I forget?" Cerridwen fretted, her hands flying to her face nervously. 

"Just because she is in Elohine doesn't mean she has gotten to my father," Julian said defensively. "My father is a wise man, and a religious one. He wouldn't fall for her tricks. With him as our ally, we can defeat any army Roltandre leads against us." 

"And what makes you think your father would just accept you back?" Rhiannon said, crossing her arms. 

"I would have you," he said. Rhiannon raised her eyebrows. "He was the one who sent me after you, to bring you home, to complete the union that would save your kingdom and strengthen ours. If I come home with what he wants, he will be overjoyed. I'm sure he has missed me, and if I come back from the White Forest alive, with my bride no less, I'll be a hero!" Malik laughed, and Freya elbowed him in the ribs. Julian ignored him. 

"Save my kingdom -- wait. King Wilhelm sent you after me? To Khepri?" Rhiannon asked. Julian nodded. She gave him a look of . . . sympathy? "Oh, Julian. Don't you find it odd he sent you after me? Alone, I'm guessing?" she said, gesturing to Malik and Freya. 

"What do you mean?" Julian asked. His stomach, empty as it was, began to turn. 

Rhiannon reached up and put her hand on his shoulder. "He set you up. He wanted you gone. He knew the likelihood of you returning would be slim, because, one way or another . . . well." 

Julian pulled back. "Not every royal family kills each other like you savages in Khepri." Rhiannon's face darkened, and she stepped back too. 

"At least they're honest about it," Jaida said, coming to Rhiannon's side. "They don't have to use twisted, backhanded methods like your people. They're upfront about who they want dead and why."