Chapter 51

Rhiannon sat back on her heels, gaping at the destruction in front of her. Everything before Vess was dead, and the stench -- gods, it was unbearable. 

"What did you do?" Jaida whispered. 

The color had drained from her face. Rhiannon had no answer. She knew Vess was powerful, but she had never imagined that she was capable of this. She shuddered to think what her sister could do. Cerridwen sat up, observing the catastrophe. 

"She has unleashed a monster." 

"All of you are monsters," Jaida hissed. "We never should have trusted you!" 

Cerridwen shook her head sadly. She murmured to herself, but Rhiannon couldn't make out what she was saying. She peeked back over the log, expecting Vess to be storming back to her. She finally found her in the gloom, crouched in the mud. She crept out from behind their cover, her steps soft and hesitant. 

"What are you doing?" Jaida whispered. 

Rhiannon ignored her. She approached Vess as quietly as she could, though the mud made that a difficult task. Vess was weeping softly. 

"Vess?" Rhiannon said, reaching to put a hand on her back. 

"Do not touch me!" she cried, holding up her hand. "Please, just stay away." 

Rhiannon squatted down next to her. The carnage was even worse up close, piles of blackened dust everywhere.

She let her cry for a while before she spoke. "It's alright." 

"It is not alright!" Vess sobbed. "I should not exist. I wish that I could -- " she stopped herself. 

"You saved us, Vess. You did what I asked. If this is anyone's fault, it's mine." 

Vess sniffled. "Where is Jubil?" 

"Unconscious. I left him with Julian." 

"Unconscious? Is he alright?" Vess said. 

She rushed to Jubil, and Rhiannon stumbled after her in the dark. The tree he was under was spared from her power. Julian was patting at his torso while Jubil swatted his hand away, muttering incoherently. 

"Jubil!" Vess cried, falling to her knees beside him. "Cerridwen, bring a torch!" 

"I'm alright," he grumbled, pushing Julian off and sitting up. 

When he saw Rhiannon approaching, he stumbled to his feet. 

"You!" he said, storming towards her. 

Before she could blink he had his hand around her neck. He spun her around and slammed her against the tree. Rhiannon kicked her feet, finding only air underneath them. 

Rhiannon clawed at his arm, struggling for breath. "Please," she whimpered. "I didn't --"

"I know you were behind this! This imbecile is not intelligent enough to attack me of his own accord." 

"Or," Julian said under his breath. "Am I just stupid enough to attack something so powerful?" 

"Stop!" Jaida said, running up with Cerridwen. She pulled a knife from somewhere on her thigh and held it to Jubil's neck. "Put her down!" 

His laugh was cruel and sharp. "You really think you can kill me?" 

"Stop! Stop this at once!" Cerridwen cried. "What are you doing? We will never succeed in defeating Roltandre if we kill ourselves first!" 

Everyone froze for a moment, shocked by Cerridwen's outburst. She panted, seeming surprised herself. 

"Please, everyone just put everything down," she whispered, tears slipping down her cheeks.