Chapter 24

Venira felt rather ridiculous leaning against the window ledge, overlooking her beautiful city. The palace was built to catch the wind to cool its occupants, and so her hair was blown back from her face, adding to the melodrama. Her snake, Fifi, shifted around her neck, tucking her head into her dark waves and hissing with pleasure. She looked down at Fifi's yellow body, wrapped around her torso and down her right leg. She supposed she had always had a flair for the dramatic. 

Her dramatics had been what caught the public's attention in the first place. Her moniker, The Snake Queen, inspired awe and fear, weapons that she had utilized to gain power. Fifi had even saved her from a would-be assassin as she slept once. She wasn't sure who she would be without her. 

She looked to the temple of Cai and Cet, glowing with red and blue torchlight in the east. Her power was raw, fresh, still tender. Though she was the last sibling left, she could still be overthrown; she needed to secure her power, and her first trial would be her prayers in the temple for the flooding of the Iunu. If the floodwaters were low, she would be blamed, her relationship with the gods and her power questioned. She shuddered at the thought; even Fifi couldn't save her from the wrath of a starving nation. 

"Venira, the Snake Queen," a honeyed voice said. Venira whirled, and Fifi raised her head, baring her fangs at the intruder. "I must say, you are shorter than I imagined." Venira opened her mouth. "Don't bother calling for your guards. They're incapacitated." 

"How did you get past them?" Venira asked, breathing raggedly. The intruder was covered in a thick cloak and wearing delicate silk gloves, despite the heat. Though her voice and form seemed feminine, she was the tallest woman Venira had ever seen. 

"Don't fret about that," she said with a delicate wave of her hand. She approached Venira and leaned against the cool marble ledge. "Your city is beautiful. The streets aren't full of shit, like in Elohine." 

"What do you want from me?" Venira asked. She slowly reached for the dagger strapped to her thigh under her dress. 

"Stabbing me will not kill me," the stranger said. Venira froze. "I want your loyalty." 

"Why would I give my loyalty to you?" she asked coldly. The stranger chuckled, and before Venira could blink, the stranger fastened her hands to Fifi's neck and snapped it, the deafening crack echoing next to her ear. 

"No!" Venira cried, feeling Fifi's body go limp around hers. She gagged, choking on her own breaths, feeling panic overtake her chest. She cradled Fifi's head in her hands, hot tears streaming down her face. 

"All that over a snake?" the stranger asked. "Don't fret now, child, watch this." Venira tried to scramble away, but the stranger grabbed her bicep, her long fingers wrapping all the way around her arm. She took Fifi's head into her other hand and stared into her blank eyes. Venira watched, horrified, as the broken bones began to shift under her snake's skin. Suddenly, she felt pressure around her torso, then her leg, and then Fifi was blinking up at her, flicking her forked tongue at the stranger. Venira stared in shock, becoming lightheaded as she forgot to breathe for a moment. The stranger laughed delightedly, stroking Fifi's head. "See? All better." 

"You . . . you're a sorceress," Venira said slowly, stepping back. This time, the stranger let her. "I thought magic was just a bedtime story." 

"Not a sorceress, no," she said. She pulled back her hood, revealing green and brown mottled skin, flat, dark eyes, and hair white as bone. Venira trembled, wishing she could wake from this nightmare. 

"What are you?" 

"I am an ancient creature, one that has nearly fallen from human memory. I am a creature of great power, and if you swear your allegiance, I can give you eternal life, eternal power." 

"Eternal power?" Venira scoffed. She looked to her snake, sliding against her skin after being still just a moment ago. 

"They who have power over death have power over all, do they not?" the creature asked. Venira smiled, stroking her snake's back, relishing the power in the smooth muscle. 

"To pledge allegiance, one must know the name of who they wish to pledge to." 

The creature grinned, baring its sharp teeth. "My name is Roltandre."