Sentenced to Death (Chapter Six)

Chapter Six

I didn't understand what was going on.

The square had zoomed out of sight and now all I saw was trees.  I could still feel something wrapped around me, and looking down I saw that it was arms.  Someone was holding me and running backwards.  No one could run this fast though.

I tried to look up and see who was holding me, but the all I could see were trees.  I wiggled around a bit, trying to get loose.  I wanted to go back.  I wanted to make sure my mother was alright.  It would only make her worry if she found out I had been kidnapped.  Wiggling wasn't getting anywhere though.  Whoever was holding me was very strong, and very fast.

"Okay stop!" I heard a familiar voice yell out.

We stopped, and whoever had been holding me put me down.  I turned and looked right into Austin's face.  I saw Riley a little ahead, and the three girls as well.  It had been Serenity that had told them to stop.

"Why should we stop," Riley said, jogging in place.  "He's back there and he might catch up with us."

"It doesn't matter if he catches up or not," Austin told Riley.  "We would beat him before he could say 'evil!'"  Austin seemed happy with that idea.

"I know we should keep going,"  Serenity said, ignoring Austin.  She looked at me.  "but he should know why we are leaving.  You know I don't like to hold people against there will."  They all looked at me.  I stayed silent, not knowing what to say in the first place.

"Alright, I'll tell him," Penelope told the group.  She walked over to me.

"Listen," she started. "you have to believe what I tell you okay?"  I nodded.  "Good.  Now to sum up what I'm about to tell you in one word: vampire."

I quickly stood up.  There are no such things as vampires.  Why should I believe that?

She continued.  "That's what we are."

"Prove it," I commanded her.

She reached for her eyes and removed green contacts, revealing red eyes.  The others copied her.  Then, she opened her mouth and changed two of her teeth into fangs.

I jumped back, startled.

"Now anyway," she continued as if nothing had just happened.  "Your father was a vampire, but he hated it.  He wanted to kill himself for being one, but first he was going to kill all the other vampires.  He became the best vampire slayer, besides the few vampires who followed him.  You are half a vampire, because of your father.  He probably would have killed you when you were just a baby, but your mother stopped him.  He didn't want to hurt her at the time, but he doesn't love anyone anymore." She paused, letting me take all of that in.  I didn't say anything, so she continued.

"He has been following us for awhile now, since we are such a big group.  Actually, he killed a vampire about a week ago that was traveling by.  He almost killed you that day, but we pulled him into a fight somewhere else before he could."

I remembered that night.  Two people fighting each other outside my house.  When one had died, I had gone to check it out.  He must have hit me on my head, knocking me out.

"My mother told me that she hadn't seen anyone outside that night," I informed them.  My face was expressionless, and I really just wanted to leave.

"Me and Riley are the fastest out of the five of us," Connie started, her red hair matching her eyes.  "So we surprised him by attacking and pulling him away as quickly as we could before anyone else would notice him or us."

"Why didn't you kill him?" I asked.  I wasn't sure if I wanted my father dead or not.  He was, according to them, my enemy.  He was still my father though.

"Your father is one tough vampire," Connie said.  "and we didn't have the weapon to kill him."  Right.  I had read myths and legends before, so I knew the story of vampires.  The only way to kill one was to stab them with a stake.

"So my father set fire to my house.  Why though?"

"We're not sure," Penelope admitted.

"How do you know all of this about my father?"  I didn't even know he was my father.

Penelope looked at Serenity, who answered "We've run into him before."

"You're keeping something from me," I said in realization, narrowing my eyes.

"So what if I am.  Now we have to keep running.  I hope you'll come willingly with us.  We don't want to force you to come."

"I really just want to go home though."

She sighed.  "I guess we will have to take you using force."

Austin picked me up again.  I struggled to free myself, but he was stronger than me.

"This is kidnapping you know!" I yelled at them.

Suddenly, Serenity was right in front of me, her hand over my mouth.  "I don't want to do this you know," she told me.  "You're the one who made such a fuss about it."  She walked over to Riley and Connie, who were in the front.  Then we were off again.

I mentally sighed, and gave up trying to free myself.