Sentenced to Death (Chapter Twenty-Five)

Chapter Twenty-Five

Annastazija was chilling on the couch where Connie used to be, but wasn't anymore.  She was swinging her legs back and forth out of boredom.  I was still staring at her, and she finally met my gaze.  "What?"

"When did you get here?" I asked, bewildered.

"I snuck in as a cat when the door was open, then plopped myself on the couch."  She gave a look that said it was no big deal, so I relaxed once more against the back of the couch.  Out of the corner of my eye I noticed her face suddenly light up, a twinkling in her eyes.  I couldn't help but wonder what was going on in that mischievous mind of her's.

"Matt-chew!" Annastazija called my name, nearly jumping with excitement where she sat.

"Yes?" I asked, unsure if I wanted to hear the answer.

"Will you read me a story?"

I blinked, not once but twice.  A story?  "What story?"

"This one."  She shoved a random piece of paper into my hands that I had never knew existed.

"Where did this come from?" I asked her, raising an eyebrow.

"Just read it!"

I sighed, then started to read out loud. 

"If you are reading this it means I have succeeded in making you read this.  Ha ha, just keep going.  It gets better, don't worry.  Alright, the real story will begin after this point. <-----that point right there, you see?  You better, or a mutant potato will hunt you down and kill you.  Just saying."

"Ha ha," Annastazija laughed at me.

"What?" I asked.  "I'm just reading what it says."

"Not that.  You're nose looks weird when you read."

I blinked.  "My nose... what?"

"It looks funny!"  She continued to laugh, so I tried to throw the paper back at her but it just flew back to me.  I got up, leaving a laughing Annastazija and a piece of paper with who knows what kind of story on it on the couch.  Annastazija morphed into a cat, still laughing.  It was kind of cute, the little noises she made while in her cat form.  It made me laugh.

As if my laughing had startled her, she morphed back into a human.  All the humor was gone, leaving behind a look of surprise.  She was pointing at me and looked like she had just seen a very scary ghost.  Or a mutant potato.

"What?" I asked, feeling a little nervous.

"You laughed!" She exclaimed.  Once again, not the answer I had been expecting.

"So?"

"I have never seen you laugh before!"  She was still pointing at me.

I hung my head, feeling a little insulted.  "Really?"

She noticed my hurt, lowering her hand.  At first she looked guilty, but then she smiled and said "Yep!"  She then jumped off the couch with her story in her hand and scampered out of the room, leaving me behind.

I wasn't away from her for more than a few seconds because once in the hallway I heard her call out "Princess!"

Curious, I poked my head into the hallway and spotted her standing in front of a serious looking Josh.

"I'm a guy," Josh reminded her.

"A princess, Mrs. Princess!" Annastazija stated with determination in her voice.  She wasn't going to loose this battle.