Sentenced to Death (Chapter Two)

Chapter Two

I woke up at eight. I don't sleep in long, but I also don't get up extra early either. 

I went downstairs and poured some cereal into a bowl. I didn't put any milk in because I don't like milk in my cereal. 

I walked into the family room and saw my mother sitting on the couch watching the news like she does every morning. 

"Hiya mom!" I said. 

"G'morning," was her reply. 

I told her I was going to take a walk and left the house. It was a little chilly outside, but I was comfy in my blue jacket. Blue was my favorite color, and it is also the color of my eyes. I wore a pair of jeans and sneakers too. 

I walked the perimeter of the square, but that didn't take long, so I did again. When I went around the second time, I named the people in each house. 

Next to us was Mr. and Mrs. Nelson, and their six year old triplets, John, Sasha, and Samantha. After that was Mr. Harris, who was an old man that lived alone. He was very nice. Every year our neighborhood holds a party in the square and Mr. Harris brings the best homemade cookies in the world for everyone to enjoy. 

After Mr. Harris's house was an empty house, whose residents had just moved away a week ago. After that was the Tates, which was Colin's family. After them was the last house on our side of the square. The Webb's lived there. Mr. and Mrs. Webb as well as ten year old Henry and eight year old Fauna. 

I crossed over to the east side of the square. The first house was the house the newcomers lived- 

I paused and stared at the right window on the first floor. The curtains moved a bit, then steadied themselves. I thought I had just seen someone looking out at me while I was walking by. 

I closed my eyes and tried to remember what I saw. All I remember was a bit of black hair whipping past the window. If it had belonged to someone, that someone had just moved away from the window very fast. But there had to have been someone there. I notice a lot of things no one else seems to see. I can also hear somethings no one else seems to hear. 

I opened my eyes and shrugged. 

I finished walking around the square and went inside. My mother was eating pancakes at the table. 

"I want to come with you to meet the newcomers," I told her. 

She finished chewing and said "That's fine. I think you should come. They need to know that no one here hates them." 

"Have you seen them yet?" 

"Yes, I saw one of them this morning when you were still sleeping."I looked at her. My mom wakes up at seven, an hour before me. 

"What did they look like?" I questioned her. 

"She looked older than you," my mother started. "She had wavy long blonde hair and wore normal clothes. Why?" 

"Just curious, that's all." 

I went upstairs and looked out the window. I could see there house from mine. Nothing. I didn't see anyone or any signs of life anywhere. Of course, it was a little early, so they might be sleeping. Someone had to be awake though. Someone had looked out the window this morning, they just had to have! My mother had said the girl she saw had blonde hair, but I don't remember seeing blonde hair at the window. According to Colin, there were five people living in that house, so one of them had to have black hair. 

.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::. 

Later that day, at about five O'clock, me and my mother met up with Colin and his mother. We all walked down to the house on the right corner of the east side, A.K.A., the newcomers. 

Mrs. Tate knocked hard on the door. 

"Easy mom,"Colin told his mother. "We want to sound friendly, not angry. "She just rolled her eyes and moved her short blonde hair beind her right ear. 

Someone answered the door. She met the discription my mother had told me of the person she had seen this morning, so it had to be that person. I had to admit, I was a little dissapointed. I had hoped to see someone that I didn't already have a mental picture of. 

"Hello," she said, smiling.  "May I help you? "She had a pretty voice. She looked just as my mother had said. Long, wavy blonde hair. She had on a white shirt with a small maroon flower on it, and a maroon camie underneath. She also wore jeans. 

"Hello," my mother started as Mrs. Tate, peaked behind the blonde girl."I am Claire Reeves, and this is my son, Mathew." She indicated me when she said my name. 

"And I'm Michelle Tate," Mrs. Tate explained. "This is my son, Colin," she pointed at him. 

"We have come to welcome you to the neighborhood," my mother told the girl. 

"Well, I am Penelope," the girl told us. "Nice to meet you all!" She seemed really nice. 

Just then, another girl poked her head over Penelope's shoulder. 

"Who's there Penny?" The other girl asked Penelope. 

"Just some neighbors," she answered. 

Penelope shifted to her left to let the other girl see. Actually, they didn't look like girls, more like teenagers. Penelope was taller than me, Colin, and the other girl. 

"Hi," the smaller teenager greeted us. "I'm Connie. I'm sixteen and this neighborhood is very nice, isn't it Penny?" Connie smiled at us. She had straight red hair that fell to her shoulders. 

"Yes it is," Penelope agreed. 

"Who else lives here?" Mrs. Tate questioned. 

"Mom," Colin moaned. "Don't be so rude." 

Connie giggled a bit, but Penelope answered. 

"Well there's Connie and I, and three others." 

"What are there names?" Mrs. Tate was going to get every little detail she could on everyone living here. She had done the same thing to everyone else. Colin had told me that she has papers in her office at home with information on everyone she knows. She has a description of the person, any good things, or bad things, about them, age, likes, dislikes, everything she can think of to ask or find out. 

"Well let's see," Connie said, counting off her fingers as she said the names. "There's me, Penny here, Riley, Serenity, and Austin." 

After a few minutes, we left. The conversation our mothers had with them hadn't been that interesting after that. I didn't get to see which one of them had black hair, if any of them did. I could have been wrong about someone spying on me from the window. No, someone was definatly there. 

The rest of my day was normal. 

Until the night came, that is.