Chapter 24

Kai was getting used to seeing dead bodies. That was the horrifying truth, beside living in a world were killing people was a natural instinct and one you had to get use to in order to survive he had told himself once upon a time that watching the life leave someone.

All his hard work went down the drain the second he knew someone he truly cared about slump over with no hope of revival. He had got too reliant on X helping them win every trial. Now he was facing the reality all over again.

The brutal truth of what had happened had started to settle under his skin. Olie was crumpled on her knees blood pouring from the back of her head still. Astoria was hugging her limp form and he was worried that she might just collapse onto her and he would lose more than just one person that night.

The world was spinning and he was not sure how he ended up on the floor crippling into everyone else's grips when he was meant to be used to. The thoughts refused to make sense. He was fine he was used to seeing dead bodies. He was fine he still had Irene and Astoria but did he really?

Irene and Astoria were constantly judging him. Astoria blamed him for Olie's death as he could not save her from whatever caused the room. Irene stuck around because she pitied him. That was all their relationship was. He was responsible and no one deserved to be near him.

"Kai please it's been a week and you still have not moved, just come on let's go get some firewood for the fire then you can go back to sitting down like nothings happened."

Kai looked up with his blank eyes and shook his head going back to picking his fingernails and skinning twigs with his sword. "I'm busy." He stated before trying to skin an acorn.

Glitchy had heard enough from him to make his judgement before she grabbed his wrist and hoisted him up. "We are getting you out of this house whether you like it or not!" She exclaimed beginning to drag Kai out from his position. This caused a shrieks of complaint.

One thing stood out however and that was the fact Kai was extremely light. The rational thought that they had never had enough food for everyone was non-existent as half of their members were deceased or gone now. That sounded too morbid. They had more food than ever before so there was no reason for anyone to be underweight, especially if they were not moving as much.

A pack of crackers and after making sure Astoria was nowhere in sight so was a chainsaw were chucked at Kai.

He exclaimed in shock "What are these even for. Glitchy I am fine!" while juggling the new found resources.

"Eat, then we are going to chop down trees in.... style!" The word she was going to add remained unspoken but Kai got the memo dropping the chainsaw to the floor.

"I would like to stick to using my sword." He stated not wanting to say anything else

Irene slid by Kai on the floor and gripped his hand, "Kai, come on what did we do to make us so annoyed at you?"

He buried in on himself not sure how to word anything. Instead he found himself leaning on Irene sobbing, "I'm not sure if you-u still like-d me after Olie died..."

There was an audible sigh before Irene shuffled closer, "That my dear boyfriend is utterly idiotic and whatever made you think that?" She huffed out wrapping an arm around him. Astoria found her way to them all and also joined the hug.

"Whatever is making you cry better be worth it."

Kai shot Irene the look and so she explained everything. The next second he was suspended in the air while Astria carried him around screeching anything that came to her mind, this was a mixture of reassurances, insults and random cat noises while Irene chased her in a failing attempt to save him from a hyper Ast's cluthes.