Chapter Forty-One

POV Cole:

Despite the fact that I have now attended human high school for two years, I have yet to grow to enjoy this place like Jorden has. We don't learn anything practical here. Not only that, but I am very hesitant about who I share my time with and being separated from Jorden due to our grade difference is deeply unsettling. Human teenagers don't have the same morals as us werewolves do and if I'm being honest, they make me uncomfortable.

"Alright class, as today is the first day back from summer vacation we are going to go around and say something fun that we did over break." I almost role my eyes at the teacher, but I learned very early on that the gesture is not acceptable. I don't understand how sharing about our lives can be any bit useful to me. As this is my last year in this school, I will never see these people ever again.

"Colton it's your turn." The sound of the teacher's voice brings me out of my head and I clear my throat before looking around the room to see everyone's eyes on me. Speaking in front of crowds is far from a fear of mine, I just think the situation is stupid. Most of the people here think I am the mysterious shy brother. Jorden is jubilant and excels on the school's wrestling team. I am not shy, but I am quiet. Shy would mean I am intimidated by these people; that is not true, I just don't see the point in interacting with them.

Before I can speak, the classroom door flies open and Jorden walks in with his hands stuffed into my leather jacket. I eye him warily, scanning him for any sign that he has been harmed. "What's wrong?" I ask him via our mindlink. Jorden looks over at me and smirks. He winks at me before walking up to the teacher.

"I just got transferred into this class." He hands her a slip of paper before taking a seat next to me in the back. He nudges our shoulders together as I begin to speak.

"Explain." Jorden chuckles before doing just as I asked. "Apparently I am good at history. I just say it was dumb luck as a result of all of the stupid artifacts Nona's relative made me clean while I stayed with her these past few summers. I guess some of the knowledge stuck. It also helps that everyone in Italy loves to talk about the history of it." His words make me nod and I accept his answer.

Unsurprisingly, I excel at both math and English due to my previous studies in finance and my love for reading. I can't grasp science for the life of me, but history is ok. Half the time it aligns with werewolf history so I know it. Jorden also excels in math, and apparently now history while he is average in both science and English.

"Alright Jorden," the teacher begins. "Welcome to the class, Colton was just telling us something fun he did over the summer." My lips purse together as I try to think of something they would consider fun. I don't play the human game very well, unlike Jorden.

"He went to France." Jorden buts in for me causing the class to gasp. A multitude of 'that's so cool's and 'I wish I could travel over seas' echo throughout the classroom. "Very impressive Colton, where did you stay?" Releasing a sigh I respond. "My family owns multiple homes throughout southern France and I bounced around a few of them but my primary residence was at their chalet on the off skirts of Paris." The teacher's jaw drops open before she collects herself and asks Jorden about his summer.

"I went to Italy. We also have family there and I stayed with them." Surprisingly the teacher didn't comment on Jorden's excursion but instead asked a question that caused me to snort. "You're brothers?" "Yes, Cole's older." Jorden exclaims as he leans back in his seat, my jacket crinkling as he adjusts. "We are one day shy of being exactly nine months apart." He explains further causing the boy up one row to snort. "Your parents work fast." Neither one of us respond as the teacher refocuses everyone's attention on her and the class continues the sharing of summer activities.