Chapter Thirty

POV: Dani

            "Happy birthday Daddy," I smile over Faolan's shoulder and clap his hands together as we stand over the bed where Jorden is slowly waking up. He smiles at us lazily before siting up so his back rests against the headboard. "Faolan made you breakfast in bed." I state while handing Jorden the baby so I can grab the breakfast tray from the nightstand table.

            Today is November 19th, also known as Jorden's 25th birthday. It is his second birthday without Cole, but his first with Faolan. "You're almost 30." I say while placing the breakfast tray on the bed and scrunching up my nose in fake disgust which has the brunette laughing. "I guess compared to you at 19 I am ancient." Jorden counters at the same moment Faolan releases a squeal and attempts to lunge for the breakfast tray that has us both laughing. "Sit down Dani," Jorden instructs while patting the bed gently. "Let's eat." I do as he says and begin to enjoy the meal of pancakes and bacon that I had conjured only an hour before.

            "Knock, knock." A voice says from outside our bedroom door. I look at Jorden before grabbing my sweatshirt and slipping it on to cover my scars. "Come in," I call once I am situated. Quinton sticks his head in the door and smiles at the sight of us sprawled out on the bed enjoying breakfast with who he considers to be his grandson chomping down on his thumb. At nine months old, Faolan eats some soft foods but still retains the majority of his nutrients from my breastmilk.

            "Happy birthday son," Quinton smiles while walking over to hug Jorden. "Damn," Quinton laughs as he pulls away from hugging Jorden. "Twenty-five years ago today I held you in my arms for the first time, absolutely scared shitless. But, look at you now. You are a strong Alpha with a good head on shoulders, and have a son that you are raising well." Quinton raises his hand to lightly rub against the back of his neck.

"I—uh, I have a few things for you." He continues hesitantly. Jorden smiles as Quinton disappears back outside our bedroom only to return with a small cardboard box. "I was still in high school when you were born, you know that Jorden. Well—uh, I was really ecstatic to be a father and I found a few pictures of us together and I thought I'd give them to you." Quinton blushes, nervous for his son's reaction. 

            I scoop Faolan up into my arms as Jorden receives the box from his father. I know the gesture means more to him than he is letting on. Cole's entire childhood is documented, whereas Jorden's is forgotten in space. The only pictures Jorden has are the ones that have both him and Cole in them. With Jorden's parents spending most of his childhood fighting before they left, he never got to truly understand what his life was like during the periods he couldn't remember himself. 

            With shaky hands, Jorden pulls out a picture of a shirtless seventeen year old Quinton lying on a bed sleeping with a newborn baby resting on his chest. Quinton smiles at the picture as a tear falls from Jorden's eye, "I was a senior in high school when you were born. The humans didn't really get it, but since I first laid eyes on you Jorden you were my world." Jorden's eyes fill with more tears and my heart skips a beat knowing how important of a moment this is for both Quinton and Jorden.

            "This picture was taken the day after you were released from the hospital." Quinton explains further. "You spent the entire night screaming, and I had no idea what was wrong with you. I changed your diaper, fed you a bottle, and rocked you; but nothing would work. Finally, I was so exhausted, and laid you down on my chest where you passed out." He smiles and rubs his chest, "Emma took the photo." Quinton visibly swallows and I feel my own heart constrict at the mention of Mama. "Believe it or not, Emma and I were best friends growing up." Quinton takes a seat on the couch against the wall.

"She and I were closer in age than Dalton and I, and we just clicked." Quinton leans back against the wall and smiles as he gets lost in his memories. "I guess that makes sense now knowing we were soulmates. Emma was— she truly was the best part of my day. I was on the football team and she was an artist. She would sit down in the bleachers and wait for me during every practice and she wore my jersey at every game. Everyone in the school thought we were a couple but, we never crossed that line. We were inseparable me and her. She was more of a mother to you Jorden than Calla ever was; that first year anyway."

"When I found out she was my mate I panicked and distanced myself from her. I was trying to make things work with Calla for the sake of my son and on top of that I had just become Beta. I knew it hurt her, but she played it off as I was under stress. When she turned 18 and found out, she was so heartbroken and ran away." His voice turns shallow and I know he is feeling the pain he must have felt all those years ago.

            "I guess that's why I didn't feel it when she died. We had been separated for so long that my wolf didn't remember what it was like to have her in our life." Quinton chokes back a sob. "I'm sorry. If you ever want to learn about your mother Dani, I am the one to talk to; and Jorden, if you want to learn more about your childhood, son you can come ask me as well." We smile as Quinton high tails it out of the room leaving both of us left with a warm feeling in our hearts. Quinton had single handily managed to fill a void in both of us today by promising to share the knowledge that we both wished we knew with all of our hearts. "Come on," I say to Jorden after a few minutes of silence. "I have your present in the living room." He smiles and follows me off of the bed and out of the bedroom.

            Setting the baby down on his play mat, I grab the small box and card and hand it over to Jorden. "The box is from Faolan." I smile as Jorden turns to our son and coos. Since Cole's death, I haven't allowed anyone to touch his truck; I mentally couldn't handle it. We shared so many memories in that truck that the sight of it hurts so much to see. It is still down in the garage, but, I don't let anyone drive it. With that being said, Jorden never had a car of his own and has been driving Grandad's. Inside the box, were the keys to his very own restored Dodge Charger.

            "Oh my Goddess!" Jorden smiles one of his full on grins when he sees what is inside. "Thank you so much Faolan." He smiles and leans down to pick up the baby before tossing him in the air and kissing him all over his cheeks making him squeal. "We are going to have so much fun with this car Faolan, I promise." I smile as I watch him set the baby down before opening up my present to him. His smile disappears, and I feel my heart constrict knowing exactly what he is thinking.

            "Dani..." Jorden's voice trails off as he realizes what I had put in the envelope. I shake my head with tears in my eyes. "Cole would have wanted you to have it Jorden; it would have made him happy knowing it was hanging around the neck of his brother." Tears fill up Jorden's eyes as he wordlessly slips the necklace around his neck. He nods before coming my way to plant a kiss of my forehead. "Thank you Dani, I couldn't have asked for a better birthday. I have my two favorite people here, my girl and my son." I smile and lean in for a hug only to gasp and pull away once I see Faolan over his shoulder.

            "Jorden he's walking!" My hand flies to my mouth in shock as Jorden whips around to see our son take his first steps. Faolan stumbles but continues on for a total of five steps before he falls down. Instantly, Jorden stalks forward and scoops him up into his arms to congratulate him on reaching this new milestone.

            "Daddy is so proud of you Faolan." Jorden says while kissing his chubby cheeks. "I love you so much buddy; you have no idea how much my heart beats for you." Faolan claps which motivates me to walk forward and join them. "Stop growing." I lightly chide while running my fingers through Faolan's blonde curls. "You are supposed to remain Mama's little boy forever." Jorden chuckles and pulls me close. I lay my head on his chest while peering up at our son. "To family," I whisper quietly. "To family," Jorden echoes as we get lost in the comfort and love we share with each other.

Question of the day: What's you go to karaoke anthem?

FOLLOW

VOTE

SHARE

COMMENT