Chapter 18: Left Behind

"Breakfast?" Emmi asks but she puts a plate down in front of my anyways. "Thanks." I don't feel hungry but I eat anyways. "I was thinking that when I'm home from work, we could go shopping." Emmi suggests. "That sounds good!" I nod and force excitement out of me. She smiles and I feel good about the fake excitement. While she's at work, I tie my long hair back into a messy bun and get dressed to go out. Dressed in blue skinny jeans and a plain white long sleeved shirt, I throw my black rain jacket on and my rain boots. It is raining today. I shouldn't be surprised but I guess I've just been in Florida long enough that I forgot. The only thing I don't have, is a car. So I hop on public transit.

I take a bus to the area that my house is in and then walk down the street to check it out. The tenants I have in there have a lease so I can't evict them. But it's a young family and they're great people so even if I could, I know I wouldn't. I'm going to have to find my own apartment. It's just drizzling a bit so I walk into the shopping area with my hood up. I didn't even bring a purse. Just my phone, wireless headphones, credit card, and keys - all tucked into a waterproof pocket in my jacket. I walk into a hair salon I always wanted to try but never did and they surprisingly take me in immediately. I chop my hair. Right up to my shoulders. And I balayage it blonde. When I walk out a few hours later, I look and feel like a new person. I love the way she loosely curled it too. I don't know how long that will last in this rain though.

I walk down the strip just with my music and my own thoughts. I see a Starbucks and run across the road to go into it. As I wait for my peppermint mocha, I take my hood off and decide that I'm going to sit in here for a few minutes. I get my mocha and then take a seat in the corner at a little two person table. I put my AirPods back in and play my music, while playing around on my phone. I re-download Instagram, after deleting it when I moved. I don't know why I deleted it. Maybe because it just reminded me of everything I left behind. As I sign in, the chair on the other side of my table is pulled by someone. My feet that were resting on the bottom of it fall off and I'm startled so I sit up quickly. The person sits down and my eyes widen when I come face to face with Jensen.