Poveglia

*Kylie's POV*

The power of the bike beneath me did little to calm my stuttering heart. It felt like the very air around me had turned into treacle. I was almost tempted to check that time hadn't stopped, feeling the burner phone dig into my spine from the bag V had given me. I carry on down the only road I could see, I hadn't noticed how far my kidnappers had taken me from the city but it seemed the road I was on went on for far too long with little signs of life. Eventually, however, the telling signs of a local town made themselves known: street lamps lit every few feet, traffic lights twinkle and there's even a small 24hour diner off to the right of the road, straight ahead. I guess that's where I'll be heading then - hopefully I won't find any trouble amongst the red booths and the chequered linoleum floors.

I manage to park the bike up, deciding to hide it against the shadow of the diner - invisible and out of sight from the main road. Slipping the keys in my back pocket I shuffle my way through the diner's front doors and find myself a free spot to sit - I'm tucked away from the main seating area but I can still see who comes in and out. I find myself accepting a black coffee from the waitress, it's quite hard to say no to them when they pester you every two minutes - but I need a major energy boost, so I nod in reply. With the waitress gone and the coast clear, I pull the burner phone out from the black backpack. After pressing the speed dial I hold it up against my ear - with the nerves piling up I lean my head against the palm of my hand that rests on the speckled grey table. I chew on my fingernails and for a brief moment a sickly feeling rises from the base of my spine when nobody answers, but then the ringing stops and someone does.

 I chew on my fingernails and for a brief moment a sickly feeling rises from the base of my spine when nobody answers, but then the ringing stops and someone does

"Hullo?" The voice of a middle-aged man answers, a slight southern twang apparent in the way he spoke. "Who're you looking to pick a fight with at this time'a' day?" His accent was actually quite thick, I ponder. "Uhhh," I mumble, unsure really of what to say.

"Now stop umming and ahhing little girl, this old man's not got the time of day. Actually, I haven't even got the time of day - it's eleven o'clock at night!-"

"Angel!" I pipe up, trying to draw the stranger on the phone back to the desperate situation I've found myself in. "Now, yer gonna have to be a bit clearer than that my girl," the man drawled out. "Uh-um, I'm Violet's friend, she told me you had made a deal of some kind? She told me you'd understand what Angel would mean... I'm sorry, maybe I have the wrong number." Crap, what was I meant to do now! "Now Woah there little lady, I may not know what Angel means apart from the ones up- never mind... but I sure as shit know who Angel is." Huh?

"Now, it looks to me like yer friend Angel has got herself in some trouble". "Yes! No! it's Violet don't you know?! And I need your help, they took her! They did, she saved me but I can't save her back! Oh please! She said the man on the phone would help, you just have to!" I was on the verge of tears; this poor man was clearly confused; I didn't know an Angel - all I knew was that my friend V needed me to find the man who could help her and now I was wasting my time with this kind man. Oh, God. "Okay there my girl, I know you're feeling unsafe and probably unsure right now, but I need you to give me 30 more seconds and I'll be able to find you." Excuse me? Had I somehow managed to dig myself a deeper grave along with a stalker too? "I'm sorry, I am confused now... I don't know who Angel is but I do know that you're not the man I'm looking for. Unless you know who Violet Cartel is, you're not getting another second of my time!" Silly man I thought. Then the man dared to laugh! I mean does he not understand the severity of this situation? Of course he doesn't, I thought - this was a stranger I was talking to, of course he wouldn't understand! "That girl is up to it again, ya know she was a 'Scarlett' when I met her - the same surname though, Cartel!" Huh? What!?