38| On the Ice

Começar do início

I knew he couldn't give me the answer I wanted right now, so no matter how disappointing it was to hear, I decided to let him off the hook. "It's okay. I understand."

He looked at me for a moment before reaching out, pulling me to him so that I was laying against his warm chest. "I will do whatever it takes to stay in your life when this is all done. That I can at least promise you."

He leaned down, placing a kiss on the top of my head as I settled in. "Thank you," I said, "that's good enough for now."

"Is your head any better?" He asked, brushing a warm thumb across my temple.

"Not really. Shall we finish our Twilathon?" I asked.

"Hell yes."

********

"Do you know how to ice skate?" Hannah asked, smoothing a palm over her long hair.

I shook my head, "I've never tried it."

"What!?" She said, turning her body to face me. "We should go today. The rink has pretty good prices on Saturdays. You should invite Mason and Blake, too... if you want..."

"Oh should I?" I asked, wiggling my eyebrows.

"What's that supposed to mean?" She questioned.

Over the past few weeks, I had noticed the growing flirtation between Hannah and Blake, and this seemed like the right time to call her out on it. "Do you maybe have a crush on Blake?"

Her face tinged red, a look that was very uncharacteristic for her. "I don't know... I guess I've just liked spending time with him lately, okay? I'm not really in any position to date someone new after everything that happened with Drayden."

I nodded in understanding. "Okay, I'll ask them. But for what it's worth, I think you and Blake would actually be very cute together. And, I don't think you should ever hold yourself back from what would make you happy."

"Thanks," she said, flopping down onto her bed. "Please just invite them! It'll be fun, I promise.

I chuckled, shooting off a text to Jax. I was eager to try this out anyway; it looked fun. And besides, I would give anything to see Jax fall on his ass. The guy had strength, there was no doubt about it, but I couldn't imagine his large, hulking frame resemble anything close to elegance on the ice.

I supposed I would just need to wait and see.

*******

"You need to lace them tighter, Sky, or your ankles will wobble," Blake told me as I just finished my last knot.

I cocked an eyebrow at him; they felt tight enough to me, but then again, what did I know about skating?

"I'll help you," Jax said, walking over and kneeling down in front of me so that he had access to my skates.

He hadn't put his on yet because the workers had a hard time finding a pair large enough to fit him.

I thanked him, taking a moment to survey the ice rink while Jax retied my skates. It was a surprisingly nice space, and the large rink of ice looked smooth and shiny under the overhead lights.

Despite it being indoors, there was a cool breeze coming from somewhere. I pulled my grey beanie hat further over my ears, smoothing my thick braid that hung loosely over my right shoulder.