13| Just Breathe

Heading into the third week of classes, I was actually feeling pretty good. I really enjoyed Hannah. Having her around as a friend was actually helping me much more than she would ever know. It was definitely hard keeping things from her, but for the most part, I found I was able to be myself around her. I was learning that I could still be Emery Starr, just under the name of Skyler Finley.

Currently, we had just gotten coffee's and were heading to our Psychology class. I liked this class a lot. The professor was old school, and since it was my previous major, I found the topic to be super interesting. Jax obviously had the same class as me, but he also couldn't be right next to me all the time. It would definitely be suspicious considering he and I weren't even a couple. Therefore, on days like today, he just followed a few minutes behind us, tracking my location in case of emergencies.

"Oh my God," Hannah said, pointing at our professor. He was currently wheeling out a large projector; something I hadn't seen since grade school. "Where did he find that dinosaur?"

I chuckled, "I don't know; I kind of like it. It's old school charm." I turned my attention away from the front, digging through my backpack to pull out a notebook and pencil. Then, all of a sudden, an ear-splitting "BANG" erupted throughout the lecture hall. I hadn't been paying attention, and I didn't realize that the professor had accidentally knocked the projector over onto the floor.

To me, all I thought was "gunshot." That's what it sounded like in here as it echoed off the walls. My vision blurred with a wash of color, and my body immediately rattled through to the bone with shivers. My throat felt like it was slowly closing and I couldn't breathe as my heart slammed against my chest repeatedly.

"Skyler?" Hannah asked, placing a hand over mine. "You don't look so good... are you alright?"

I heard her. I understood she was saying something to me, but I couldn't find the words to answer her. My whole body wouldn't stop shaking and I couldn't get a lung full of air. I just felt frozen in place... numb with the fear of being shot at.

"Mason!" I heard Hannah call, waving her hand in the air, "Over here! Skyler, can you hear me?"

I nodded, "I can't... I... " I was trying to tell her I couldn't breathe. My heart felt like it was constricting in my chest and the more I couldn't control my body, the more freaked out I became. This was a completely new feeling for me.

"What is it? What's wrong?" A familiar voice sounded beside me. Jaxon! Knowing he was here already was mildly comforting, but I still didn't fully comprehend was going on.

"I don't know! We were just sitting here waiting for class to start... there was a loud 'bang' when the professor dropped his projector on the ground and then she just freaked out! I don't..."

"Skyler, look at me," Jaxon soothed, "You're okay, but I think you're having a panic attack. Try and breathe with me."

"I... can't. I can't see," I said between shallow breaths. My vision was a wash of colors but I couldn't make out any individual faces. They were there, but I was dizzy and nauseous and clammy and I couldn't focus on anyone enough to actually see them.

"God damn it," Jaxon sighed, "Okay... I'm taking her outside; We'll be back, Hannah; save our seats, okay? Sky, I'm going to pick you up now. Just hold on to me."

I nodded and felt him gently place my arm around his neck. Another arm hooked me under my legs as he lifted me off of my chair and pulled me tight to his chest. I was grateful that I had chosen an aisle seat today to make this easier for him, although I imagine we still made quite the scene.

I heard Jax mumble a few "excuse me's" and then we were out the door and into the hallway.

"Skyler, focus on breathing. It's okay. I've got you; you're safe."