5| Safety Plan

"Hello, I'm Jaxon," my bodyguard spoke; it was here that I realized he was probably around my age or maybe just a few years older. "Mr. Starr, I heard your concerns, but I just want to assure you that I am very good at what I do. I will keep Emery safe."

I was mesmerized by the sound of his voice. It was so velvety smooth and yet so masculine; definitely a voice that demanded attention. He sounded very convincing when he spoke, and I almost felt safer just with him being in the room. Almost.

"Thank you. I appreciate that. I don't mean for this to come across as rude, but... aren't you a little young to be a professional bodyguard?"

The corners of Jaxon's full lips twitched as if he was expecting this question. "Well yes, I am young; I have to be in order blend into the college where Emery will be placed. Chief will explain all of that in a minute; but once again, I assure you, I've had all the required training."

"Jax is one of the best. He was top of his class, and as my adopted son, I've pretty much been training him his whole life. He knows what he needs to do in this field; I have no doubts," Chief explained.

"I didn't mean to offend anyone by asking, but you have to understand... she's all I have left." I heard my dad's voice quiver as he spoke which almost pushed me into a new fit of tears. Just this morning the two of us had been laughing on the golf course... how can a day change so much?

"No offense taken; We understand completely. That actually makes this part a bit harder," Chief Hale sighed, "Emery... I'm afraid that when we relocate you, it's going to have to be just you."

I heard what he said, but I couldn't process what it meant, so all I said was, "What?"

"Your father cannot come with you. Right now, the mob doesn't know that you're alive. For all anyone knows, you died when they shot at you and your car flipped. It is this factor that is going to keep you safe the most."

My body trembled, "Bbbb-but I don't undersss-tand. If I'm dead, why ccc-can't he come www-with me?"

I glanced at Jaxon who was standing in the corner. His arms were still crossed, but his eyes were cast down on the ground as if he wasn't paying attention to what was being said. In fact, I didn't think he had looked at me at all since he entered the room.

"If your dad relocated, it would be very suspicious; if we made him disappear and gave him a new identity like we will do for you, the mob will know that you are alive and come looking for you. The best way to ensure your safety, and his, is if he stays put and sells your death to the public."

This time I couldn't control it. I felt sick. My body trembled harder than ever and I let tears flow freely as sobs wracked my body. I knew that my ordinary life as Emery Starr was over.

"How long are we talking here? Months? Years?" My dad asked, wiping away his own tear and pulling me closer.

"That's going to depend on when we catch the mob leader. We're very sorry... we know this is a lot."

I sobbed again and my teeth chattered together. The room we were in was freezing, and I was still in shock from the crash, being shot, and trying like hell to process the situation.

"Can someone please get my daughter a sweatshirt or something? She's freezing," my dad commanded. I'm sure it was his way of distracting himself briefly from the matter at hand, but I certainly wasn't going to object to his request.

I saw some movement from Jaxon out of the corner of my eye. He unzipped his jacket and took a step forward before zipping it back up. "I'm going to check the other room for something. I'll be back."