Chapter 20

Previously:

Early the next morning, Can woke up to the sound of someone climbing the ladder to the treehouse. Before he could get up, the door opened.

"Can?"

***

Can blinked in the bright sunlight streaming in through the open door. He raised up on his elbow to see who was there. "Baba? What are you doing here?"

Aziz quickly realized that Can wasn't alone; Sanem was on her side facing the door, and Can was behind her, his front to her back, curled around her body. Sanem was almost completely covered by the blanket, and only the top of her head could be seen. She continued to sleep, not roused by the sound of Can's voice or the sound of the door opening. Can smiled down at her and smoothed her hair away from her face; he'd forgotten what a heavy sleeper she was.

"Oh, I'm sorry, son. I didn't find you at the house, so I thought to check here, but I didn't realize you had company," Aziz said, backing toward the door to leave.

At that moment, Sanem stretched, her arms extending over her head. Her movements moved the blanket, revealing her face. Her eyes were still closed, and she had no idea they had a visitor. As soon as Aziz saw her, he recognized her.

"Sanem?" he exclaimed. "I can't believe it!"

Sanem's eyes flew open at the sound of her name and she clutched the blanket to her chest, even though she was completely decent in Can's T-shirt. She looked toward the voice, and was mortified to see Aziz standing there in shock.

"Aziz amca!" Her face turned red with embarrassment. "I'm so sorry..I...this is...this is not how I wanted to see you for the first time after all these years."

Aziz didn't care that she was embarrassed, or that she was clearly wearing his son's shirt and that his son seemed to be wearing nothing under the blanket--he was so happy to see her, he went to her and held her face in his hands, kissing both of her cheeks. He grinned at her and his eyes filled with tears. He continued to hold her face, unable to believe she was actually there. "Sanem! My girl! I'm so happy to see you!"

"Baba, maybe give us a few minutes, and we'll come over to the house and have breakfast together. Then you can be happy to see her all you want."

"Yes! Yes, I apologize, sevgili kızım, canım kızım," he said, leaning down to kiss the top of her head. He let go of her and stood up. "I just...I can't believe you're here! Both of you must tell me how you found each other again! When did this happen? Can, why didn't you tell me?"

"I'm sorry, Baba. It's been fast...and a lot. We'll talk in the house, okay? Give us a few minutes, please."

"Okay, okay. I will go start breakfast. You two take your time!" He clapped his hands and then grabbed Can's face and kissed both of his cheeks, as well. "And I like this look, son. I can see your face!" Aziz danced his way out of the treehouse, humming to himself. He waved at them without looking back and closed the door behind him, leaving Can and Sanem alone again.

Sanem turned her head back toward Can and held on to the arm he had around her. "Oh my god, Can. I'm so embarrassed! Do you think he knows what we did?" Sanem's eyebrows drew together, creating the little wrinkle he loved so much.

He laughed at her and kissed the space between her eyebrows. "Sanem, I'm naked and you're wearing my shirt and we're in bed together. I'm pretty sure he knows."

She covered her face with her hands and hid her face in the pillow. "Cannnnn," she whined, her voice muffled behind her hands.

He held her chin between his thumb and forefinger and turned her face back toward him, peeling her hands from her face. "Sanem, did he seem upset to you?" She reluctantly shook her head. "He's happy to see us together; he's happy you're back."