Chapter 1

Istanbul, July 1998

Istanbul, July 1998

"Hurry up, Sanem! It's going to start! You don't want to miss it, do you?" Can yelled behind him when he realized she wasn't next to him anymore. Sanem had stopped to look at the poster for the Strongest Man in the World, and she was gawking at his huge muscles.

"But, Can! Did you see this? Look at how big he is! Do you think he could even pick up Baba?"

Can laughed. "I bet he could! But let's get inside, Sanem! We'll be able to see him right in front of our eyes once we're in our seats."

Sanem ran to catch up with him and took his hand. "Someday I want to marry the Strongest Man in the World, Can."

"He's too old for you, Sanem!" Can said, grinning.

"Not that same one, silly boy! I bet when we're grownups there will be a new Strongest Man in the World. Maybe it will be you, Can!" she beamed at him with her toothless smile and giggled. She'd lost both of her front teeth, but one of her adult teeth had grown half-way in and the other was still missing completely.

"Maybe it will be, silly girl. Does that mean you'll want to marry me then?" he said, holding her hand tighter and pulling her along with him as he looked for their seats.

"Only if you're very handsome and strong, Can," she laughed. Can rolled his eyes. She squeezed his hand. "Thank you for bringing me to the circus, Can. Leyla didn't want to come--she never wants to do anything fun," Sanem frowned. Her sister was 11 years old and she thought she was so important, but she was really just so boring. "And Baba had too much work to do."

"You know I will do anything to make you happy, Sanem." It was true. Sanem and Can had been best friends since the day they met two years before, and Can loved nothing more than making her smile and laugh. Her smile made him smile; her laugh made him laugh.

Of course, since Can was only eight years old, Aziz had brought them. When Can had told his dad how bad Sanem wanted to see the circus and that no one in her family was available, Aziz had readily agreed. Everyone in the Divit house loved Sanem--except Can's mother. But she didn't really love anyone.

Aziz had gone to get popcorn and drinks for the three of them and had sent Can and Sanem ahead to find their seats so they wouldn't miss the beginning of the show. By the time he got everything and caught up to them, they were already settled in their seats. As he walked up, he saw Sanem pointing and talking with excitement about the horses coming out into the ring. He took his seat next to Can and handed them a giant tub of popcorn to share and two bottles of soda.

"Are you excited, Sanemcim?" Aziz asked.

"Yes, Aziz Bey! Thank you sooooo much for bringing me! I've always wanted to see the circus!"

The lights went down and the show started. Sanem quieted down and turned her attention to the center ring. She watched each act with rapt attention, her enthusiasm growing by the second. When the ringmaster announced the tightrope act, Sanem was excited, but she was nervous. She gripped Can's hand. "What's wrong, Sanem?"