Chapter 7

Previously:

Leyla came quietly into Sanem's bedroom and gathered her into her arms. "Shh, Sanem. You'll be okay, Ablacım." Sanem cried against her sister's chest; her heart would never be the same.

Istanbul, August 2008 (Can 18, Sanem almost 16)

"Sanem, come now. We'll be late for our flight," Mihriban said with her hand on Sanem's shoulder as she hugged her dad goodbye for the fifth time. She knew it was hard for Sanem to say goodbye to her family, especially at such a young age, but she was getting an amazing opportunity to spend her senior year of high school in London as an exchange student. Mihriban had worked hard to convince Nihat to agree to let his baby girl go so far away for such a long time, and he'd finally agreed.

Sanem and her family had been with Mihriban for a year, since the Divits moved away and left Nihat without a job. Mihriban remembered Aziz talking about Can's close relationship with his groundskeeper's daughter, and she wanted to help the girl's family; she also wanted to get to know Sanem. She had grown very close to Sanem, and through her, she had learned precious information about her son. Sanem had confided in Mihriban about her relationship with Can, and about her fear that Can had forgotten all about her. It was clear to Mihriban that Can and Sanem truly loved each other, and it broke her heart to see Sanem suffer through Can's absence.

Sanem hadn't forgotten him; her travel outfit consisted of a pair of leggings, a T-shirt, and the sweatshirt Can had left behind for her. Mihriban knew it made Sanem feel closer to him when she wore it, and Sanem needed Can's nearness today.

"I'm ready, Mihriban abla," Sanem said, giving her sister a final hug and wiping her tears with the back of her hand.

Mihriban smiled and put her arm around her shoulders. She gave her a squeeze. "We will fly you home to visit during your long breaks, Sanem. You will be back home and you will see your family again before you know it."

Sanem nodded, leaning her head against Mihriban's shoulder. Mihriban had become like a mother to her, and she was so happy to have her. She'd taught her so many things--Mihriban and Sanem had spent countless hours together in the vast gardens of Mihriban's estate and Mihriban taught Sanem all about each plant, and how it could be used to make teas, creams, and ointments to heal. She'd written about her interest in plants in her essay for acceptance as an exchange student, and her passionate display of knowledge and curiosity to learn more had ultimately won her a space in the illustrious program.

"Mihriban abla, is there a plant that could heal my heart?" Sanem remembers asking on a day when missing Can was like a living, breathing creature living in her chest, squeezing her heart in its cruel claws. "Because I don't know how I can make it one more day." Sanem had pressed her hand over her heart to try to ease the ache, but it didn't help. A tear rolled slowly down her cheek.

"There is no plant that can heal your heart, my beautiful girl, but time will make it better...and if you want to talk about it, I'm a good listener," Mihriban had said.

That was the day Sanem first shared her heart with Mihriban, and Mihriban had held it with care since then.

Sanem sat in the backseat of the taxi next to Mihriban and looked out the window at the familiar landscape. This was her home, where she'd grown up and lived for the past 11 years, where she fell in love with Can. She looked at Mihriban. "What if he comes looking for me and I'm not here, Mihriban abla?"

"If he tries to find you and isn't successful, it's because the time isn't right yet, Sanem. I feel that one day you will be reunited, and I don't think it will happen when either one of you is expecting it." Mihriban smoothed Sanem's hair back from her face and held her cheek.