ScarletFrost ↬ Soulmates

*This is the first chapter of my other story 'Kindred Souls'*

When soulmates are born and throughout their lives, they receive objects from one another; small items that the other has lost. The objects would be traded through magic without either or the pair knowing when or what would go missing. However, should those soulmates come within close proximity with one another and at least one of them has an object of the other with them, that object will go back to it's original owner, letting the pair know that they are within the same area as the other.

So, when Wanda Maximoff woke up one morning, on her small dirty mattress in the one bedroom apartment her family shared, with a large medallion chained around her neck, she was giddy with excitement. She was nine years old at the time and fully aware of the type of country she lived in, soldiers patrolled the streets with guns and curfews where often enforced to decrease the amount of civilians on the streets when the bombs hit. It was a difficult place for a young girl to grow up but she managed. She carried the medallion everywhere, she was still too small to wear it - the chain hung heavy on her neck and it began to ache after a while - so she'd slip it into her pocket, tracing the intricate design delicately as her mother tugged her along the crowded streets. She'd often hope that one day the medallion would disappear from her pockets, go back to its rightful owner and alert the girl that they were nearby, but every time she'd slip her hand back into the pockets of her tattered dress the medallion would still be there.

Pietro got his soulmate gift two years after Wanda, two small Lego figures, something to do with a famous movie series the twins never had the fortune of watching. And for the first time since the shell collapsed their building, the twins felt hope. They had soulmates out there waiting for them, they just had to find them.

Loki was in the palace library when he saw a red fabric stick out from one of the books resting on the table. Curiously, he reached for it and pulled it out of the book. A red bandana, knotted together and covered in dirt and grime. A soulmate.

He'd never considered the idea of having a soulmate, no one had bothered to ask if he'd yet to get a gift from one. Except from his mother of course. Speaking of....

The doors to the library opened and the All-mother walked in. She approached her son who didn't so much as look up from the creases of the red fabric he was tracing. However, as she reached the desk he was sitting at, he slammed the fabric into the book he was holding and closed it quickly. Frigga didn't question his actions, he would tell her when she was ready.

"Loki, I've yet to see you wear that medallion your father gifted you last year. I would hate to think you've lost it."

Loki didn't answer immediately, he opened the book again and carefully lifted the bandana out. In a quiet tone, one that Frigga almost didn't hear, he said, "I think it went to her."

He held the bandana out for his mother to take and she nearly gasped for joy at the realisation, her son had a soulmate.

When Wanda was nineteen, she met and helped Ultron. Sokovia was in ruin and she believed killing the Avengers would prevent any more damage coming to the country.

When Thor stood aboard the rusted ship facing off against a metal man, he nearly choked up at the sight of his brothers medallion hanging around a young woman's neck. Not only had he discovered that his brothers soul-mate was helping Ultron, he had found her after his death the year prior. He didn't have the heart to tell her what had become of Loki. His cold, pale body laying unmoving on the dusty ground, the way blood poured from his wound. It was an agonising memory, one he relieved often.

Loki sat on the throne of Asgard when he noticed a small piece of jewellery that sat in his pocket. Pulling it out he discovered a ring, small and a bronze coloured; clearly discoloured over time. The god hid his smile when the sound of the doors opening filled the room, the image of Loki disappeared and the illusion of Odin reappeared.

Thor strode along the long golden hallway of the palace, leading to his fathers throne. To him, the All-father seemed off; perhaps it was his stance, of the slight smirk in his expression.

"Ah, my son. I thought not to expect your presence for many years to come." Thor shook off his concerns, this was his father - who else would it be?

"Yes, this trip was unplanned but there has been a recent revelation on Midgard that needed to be brought to your attention. Odin paused, watching as Thor tensed slightly and took a sharp breath.

"The mind stone has been discovered once again, it is back with the Avengers; they will keep it safe."

"Is that all?" Odin hummed, he seemed eager to get this meeting over with.

"No, there is a girl," Odin almost sighed in despair, another girl for the god to fawn over, "she had Loki's medallion."

Odin froze. Loki froze. A human, on earth, had his medallion and given he'd never come into contact with this girl - and certainly never gave away his medallion - that could only mean one thing.

"Loki had a soulmate." Thor awaited his fathers reaction. He knew that Odin didn't have a particular fondness for Loki, not like he did for himself, so he was expecting the all-father to brush it off.

And he was particularly surprised when he didn't.

"I see. Does she know of his current... state?"

"No, she does not."

"Good, she mustn't. It would destroy her." Loki sighed in relief, Thor telling the girl he was dead was the last thing he needed, despite the fact it wasn't true - and she'd know it wasn't true.

"Father, are you okay?" Thor questioned, he'd never seen his father care so much for a human life.

"Yes."

Thor nodded in acknowledgement, something was definitely wrong with his father but bringing it up seemed to be a bad idea. The god turned and, without a word, disappeared out of the palace.

"It seems I need to make a trip to Midgard." Loki muttered, twisting the bronze ring around his finger.

He had a soulmate to find.