"School has been hectic lately along with Alpha training, it's just taking priority at the moment. Maverick and I are fine, we both agree that my studies need to come first. I simply forgot that we spoke last night, that's all."

I spoke with confidence, my tone never missing a beat and my voice never waiving. I moved slightly in my chair, my body relaxing as I smiled, attempting to portray innocence.

My reasoning for keeping it a secret from my parents was simple. They saw Maverick as their son, they had played a huge part in raising him as did his parents with me.

It wasn't as simple as just telling them the truth, I didn't want to alter their opinion on him or for them to see him differently because of how he made me feel the past few years. He was my mate regardless, I couldn't help but want to protect our relationship from any scrutiny.

Both our families were extremely close and I had a special relationship with his parents. I didn't want to jeopardise anything or cause a rift between us. My father was known to start a war over less.

I needed to understand myself why Maverick had chosen to stay away, to keep the distance between us when he could have come home once I turned sixteen.

He needed to explain himself and he needed to tell me the true reason for why he chose to ignore my text messages, calls and all my attempts to mind link. Since we were gifted with knowing we were mates when we were young, we also had the ability to communicate without baring mate marks.

Deep down, I was riddled with fear. Afraid that he had met someone else during his travels and that was his reasoning for staying away. If so, that was definitely something I wanted to keep my father from knowing.

My mom was also unable to carry anymore children after me, I was an only child which meant their titles were passed to me. With Maverick being an Alpha himself, it made sense for them to pass their territory to us.

My father was proud to pass his title down to Maverick, he had fought so hard to keep his territory, to prove himself as an Alpha and a father. I wouldn't be able to bare seeing disappointment in his face.

Although I was anxious for his arrival, I knew I would finally get the answers to my questions. He wouldn't be able to brush me off so easily once we're in the same territory.

The silence lingered on until my dad eventually nodded his head, seeming to accept my reply. His eyes actively showed that he didn't believe me, but remarkably he let it go. "If that's what you wish to tell me then I'll accept it, but if you do decide to tell me the truth, then I'll be here to listen."

I inhaled deeply, feeling relieved that our conversation had ended, but thankful that if I did chose to speak to him about it, he would be there.

I smiled and he turned to his laptop, acknowledging an email as it sounded through. "The whole pack will be in attendance for the Alpha ceremony along with the Stone Warriors. We will be officially merging as one pack while celebrating your new titles."

"Maverick and the rest of the guys will be arriving on Saturday morning. Their flight lands around twelve in the afternoon and I have informed everyone to be on our territory for half two."

I smiled brightly at his mention of the guys, I was excited to see them all again. I hadn't seen nor spoken to them in a while, they were the annoying and unwanted siblings I was forced to have growing up.

The merging of both packs meant that we would have two Betas. Mason would be designated one half of the territory while Isaac would have the other as both of them had Beta wolves and this would help stop their power struggle between one another.