Memories

The air takes on a heavy atmosphere as we prepare to land on the barren and seemingly abandoned island. It made it harder for us to breathe, like a silent warning from Thor himself for us to leave this place and never return back; but stubbornness was a core trait of a Viking, like Valhalla we were going to leave without finding something to take back. Taking precautions when entering the vicinity of the desolate village I move behind (d/n)'s grand frills in case there were people still somehow residing here and deemed us as enemies. Hiccup mimics my actions and presses up against Toothless's back to make him blend seamlessly into his scales.

We take a sharp right into the nearby forest to land, lowering our chances of being detected. "Keep your helmet on so if anyone comes, they won't know our identities." Hiccup states over his shoulder in a low tone. Making our way into the village boundaries, of which the remains seemed to be from a extremely grand and wealthy past, making Berk pale in comparison. The sight saddened me greatly for some unknown reason and my fingertips ran over the charred remains of the armory, melted maces, swords and axes of various shapes and sizes gone to waste away in the flames. My eyes dart around the village and I see a grand home, seemingly the chief's home; half crumbled in, still standing proud amongst the ash on a rocky hill overlooking the smaller homes below.

I signal Hiccup over from one of the villager's homes and point up to the house up top the hill. "Let's go check that house up there, it seemed to be the chief's home at one point"

"That's a good idea, lets go up together, shall we m'lady?" Hiccup jokes as he holds out his hand for me to take as he bows. I giggle lightly taking his hand and curtsying back.

Slowly scaling the dew ridden grassy hill, reborn from the ashes like a majestic phoenix. I take the lead while Hiccup holds my hand as he attempts to gain a footing on the slippery ground, his metal leg making it harder than if he had both feet. The temperature was warmer than it was on Berk, little vines and dandelions poked out from the cracks in the houses, an essence of new life and potential prosperity if you took the time to rebuild the island to its former glory. As we made it to the crest of the hill a light breeze greets us through our helmets. My gaze falls to the grand double doors which were maimed with slashes and burns, I look near my feet and just above knee height was a poorly done engravement of some sort of crest I presume. I crouch down to get a closer look, my head tilts to the side with confusion, I reach out to trace the engravement, have I seen it somewhere before? Yet this brought back some hidden memories like my mind tried to get rid of them completely yet needed some physical jump start to unearth them...

"Mummy! Daddy come look what I did!" A small (y/n) calls out to her parents. Two taller figures approach her from behind and bend down to see what she has carved in the door of their home with the dagger that her father had gifted her at birth.

"That's wonderful sweetheart." Her Mother praises her Daughter rubbing her hair which was in a tiny low ponytail. It was the crest of the village. It was a stylised dragon mouth that was open wide baring its sharp fangs and spitting fire depicted in swirls from the mouth of the creature.

(y/n)'s giggle echoes throughout the town in joy as her Mother picks her up from the grass and spins her around and around. Her gleeful squeals of "HIGHER MUMMY! HIGHER!" made the citizens of Gilza chuckle and continue about their days.

That was the last time (y/n) ever saw her Mother.

I stumble from my kneeling position and fall on my back smacking my head against the ground. A groan escapes me, and I rub my head. Alerted, Hiccup darts around the corner of where he was looking at the exterior damage of the home.

"You ok (y/n)?" Hiccup worriedly asked me, sticking a hand out for me to help me up.

"I-I lived here..." I mumbled under my breath, yet he was able to pick it out.

"You what?" Hiccup questioned

"This was my home before I met Valka..."

"This was my home..." My body begins to tremble as tears sprung from my eyes like waterfalls, ashamed that Hiccup saw me like this I dug my hands into my eyes lifting my helmet off of my face.

Hiccup panics and attempts to pull my hands away "hey, hey you're ok, you're ok. It's alright (y/n)." Hiccup reassures as he pulls me into his arms on the ground. I continued to sob into his armour as he made shushing sounds as he rubbed my back in an effort to comfort me.

"Do you want to leave? We can if you need." Hiccups quietly asked into my ear as if not to startle me into running off like a Terrible Terror.

"No-no I need to have a look around. There seems that war or ambush broke out here some time ago." I whisper, my voice quiet and restrained, I sniff and pull myself to stand. I take a deep breath and straighten my back; I turn back around and take one last breath before pushing open the front door.

It creaks open...