14| Popcorn and Gummy Worms

Start from the beginning

"Uhhh I don't know," I popped another sour gummy worm into my mouth, "I'm not sure Mason would go for that."

Hannah scoffed, "Sky... I like Mason. Really, he's a good guy and he clearly cares about you, but he shouldn't be able to decide this for you. You need to have a little fun."

"But..."

"No buts. I promise it will be a good time. Obviously Blake and Mason can come with us, but if they don't want to, then you and I will go alone. We deserve to have some fun!"

I had to admit, Hannah was really convincing and I knew that a night out would probably help with my adjustment to this college. I hadn't really done anything social yet and it was kind of getting depressing. "You're right. We do deserve some fun," I finally said.

"We do! I promise to be a good roommate and look out for you, but we're going."

I nodded. She had a point, and knowing that she said she'd stick with me really helped me to come around to the idea. Eventually, I was fully on board. Now, I just hoped I could convince Jax to go with me.

*****

"Absolutely not," Jax said, following me into my dorm room after our last class of the day.

I hadn't planned to ask him about it so late in the day, but every time I tried to bring it up I got nervous. I really wanted this, and I was afraid that he'd say no... like he was doing right now.

"Why not?" I asked casually, trying to remain calm. "Hannah made it sound like I didn't really have much of a choice in the matter."

He scoffed. "Well, Hannah doesn't exactly know your situation now does she? Of course you have a choice."

I flung my backpack down onto the futon, facing off with Jax who's large physique was blocking the open door. "Great, so then I choose to go."

He didn't look pleased with my response as he stepped into my room and closed the door behind him. It was a second before he said anything, and it took everything in me to not look away as we stared each other down. Jax was seriously intimidating when he wanted to be.

"Look..." he finally said, "I don't like telling you what to do, but I can't allow you to go tonight. It's dangerous."

"Jax, come on! I don't see why this party is such a big deal. I don't want to just live my new life in a bubble!"

"Emery, don't be dramatic. There are too many people at these college parties. We don't know who of those people we can trust. I'm here with you because there's always a chance that you can be found. The more people you are exposed to, especially if you're drunk, the riskier it gets," he explained, talking slowly as if I wouldn't understand him otherwise.

I got what he was saying, but still, I couldn't stop myself from trying to get him to see my point as well. "Jaxon, please. I know to you this probably seems stupid. I know that you don't understand why I want to go to some dumb party. But I really think that this is what I need right now." His brows were furrowed, like he was growing more and more irritated by my request instead of truly hearing me out. His expression made me want to press on even more. I couldn't tell you why, but I wanted his permission, understanding, and approval more than anything.

"You know, before everything that happened, I did have a normal college life," I continued, "It's killing me feeling so scared all the time, having panic attacks when my professor drops a god damn projector onto the floor. I'm just looking for a little fun here Jax... please. Just a little bit of normalcy."

I watched his expression soften, but I still didn't see understanding. It was like the playful, caring Jax I had gotten used to evaporated before my eyes and he was returned to the distant, professional Jax that I first met.

"Emery, stop," He shut me down again. "It's too dangerous and I'm putting my foot down," he said in a monotone voice, finally averting his gaze.

"Jax..." I tried one more time, blinking hard to make sure that my emotions didn't come out in the form of tears. I was so sick of crying.

"You're not going," he cut me off, "end of discussion."

I knew deep down that Jaxon was behaving this way for my own good. He was my bodyguard, and he was doing his job. It didn't stop me from feeling angry though and honestly a little hurt. It was like he just dismissed my feelings. I really and truly didn't think going to this party would be any more dangerous than attending class every day, and he barely even let me explain myself.

I didn't have anything left to say, so I gave a sharp nod in his direction. "Fine," I agreed.

"I'll leave you alone now," Jaxon said, his eyes returning to meet mine but I didn't hold his gaze this time. I didn't want to look at him. "I'll be across the hall if you need anything."

"I'll be here," I returned with a sharp tone.

And that was the first lie I told to him.

I knew I'd be attending the party, and I also knew it was wrong, but it was what I wanted to do and I couldn't help myself.

Jax wouldn't even need to know.
______________________________________________

Hiiii!

Get ready, the next 2 chapters are kind of my fav! Lol some bad decisions are made but I sure had fun writing it!

Thanks for reading :))

-Haley

WitnessOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara