Chapter 2 - Character Creation: Part 4

It takes me another thirty minutes to process. I finally land on either I'm going crazy or I am in a strange coma dream. Either way, hanging out in a random forest is boring without a purpose. Since I haven't seen another living thing, I sit on the ground and begin to inspect my new gear.

I start with the sword crushed into a dagger. Without pulling up the information window it looks very small and plain. When I do pull up the information window, however, I stagger. The item's name is now orange where before it had been black, like every other item so far. Orange is usually very rare in other games.

Dagger

Level: 1

Soulbound

Damage: 2-4

I'm mildly impressed. It's a great starting weapon. Or it would have been if it wasn't only four inches long...

The rest of the gear is much better in my opinion. My backpack is now called a "Traveler's Pack" and its name is in green. It works just like many other games' inventories. If I open the top flap, a window opens with a huge ten by thirty grid. It can hold up to three hundred item stacks. It currently reads fifteen of three hundred in a number fraction in the corner. I notice the "blank paper" and the two pocket knives had numbers next to them, telling me they stacked by quantity. It's a relief knowing that three hundred of a certain item wouldn't fill the bag and will only take up one square in the grid instead. Some items do not stack, however. The socks and other clothing items took up one slot each.

I move on to the water bottle, compass, and tent. I left the lighter alone for now. Pulling those three out seems good enough to start with.

The water bottle is a green item as well. Whatever I put into it, the water bottle will stay full and fresh with that liquid. It refills every four hours for a maximum of ten refills. Then I have to fill it up with something else.

I didn't see Charity touch the compass but it had changed too. It is now a watch. I put it on and press the digital time display that reads:

9:08 am stt

Monday

As soon as I made contact with the screen, a hologram mini-map erupts above it. The screen clicks like a button to turn the map on or off. I explore this new mini-map a bit, turning it off and on a few times. I could make out the clearing I was in around a little yellow arrow that is pointed towards the beginning of a path. When I touch the arrow with my other hand, my name pops up. So, did the map only show what I physically saw at that moment, or would what I have seen remain if I move on elsewhere? I had no way to know yet. I'd have to play with it more later and find out. Putting the map away, I pull out what was supposed to be the tent.

It is a fist-sized black square with a red button on top. The sides read:

Privet Estate - Unlimited

On the back, a warning label reads:

Warning:

Place this side down on the ground and press the red button. When the Green Area of Effect ring appears move out of it swiftly. Building times may vary based on level. Do not lose the key as it is required to pack up and move the estate.

I have to try it. Following the directions, I set the square down and press the button. A green ring appears on the ground around me about eight feet across with the black box in the middle. I hastily move out of the AoE. A countdown is displayed above the black box starting at ten. When the countdown reaches zero a tent begins to erect itself. The whole process lasts a solid minute at best. Poles fly up, walls follow then the door. I am stunned.

This game is awesome! Well, so far at least.

Before me stands an eight-foot-tall tent that is ten feet wide and another eight feet deep. It's square, which doesn't make sense seeing as the AoE was a ring. The door is a zipper flap that starts at the bottom. The main zipper has a lock that can secure the door with the key sticking out. Turning the key leads to a prompt window opening.

This Estate has not yet been registered. Do you wish to have this Estate registered and soulbound to you? You may only have one estate soulbound to you at a time.

Yes, Please or No, Not Now

I ponder this for just a few seconds. Nothing else happened after I accepted the prompt. I tuck the key into my pocket and unzip the door. Inside the tent is just that. A tent. There's a cot, pillows and a blanket set up on one side and a light hung from the ceiling that is on.

All said, I am thankful for the gifts. I hope other players got similar treatment. I doubt it though. I got a guilty twinge inside just thinking about it. Why am I getting these benefits in the first place? I'm no one special.

I've never really been into theology or religion but I am cautious enough to face the facts. In this world, there are Gods or at least god-like entities. Better play it safe. I close my eyes and tilt my head forward. I speak a prayer.

"Thank you, Charity, for your blessings. I shall use them wisely and pay this favor forward." It was awkward for me but I make it through ok. Just when I start to feel silly, something happens that makes me thankful I was so cautious.

A breeze blasts past my ears carrying a very familiar voice. "You're welcome, sweetie. You'll need all the help you can get." Charity's voice fades away into laughter. I was left feeling like I needed some burn ointment.

I begin to pack up my belongings, pride still stinging a little, when I realize something very important. I have no idea where to go or what to do next. So, I stop packing and set everything back up again; the tent and my extra blanket found a place along with the unlit lantern. I lock the tent and place the key into its slot in my inventory.

I want to check one thing before I start exploring my immediate area. I kick my tent, a very bad idea. It feels like kicking a brick wall. If I had been wearing anything less than the leather boots I took from "the supply room" I would have a broken toe. My HP went down and a green bar erupts in the top left of my vision. It did fill me with relief that the tent isn't going anywhere.

A glance around my menus to adjust to my new bar tells me it is going to be a very long day.