Cat and Dog

MARCO

" I don't think we should be getting Ethan presents this year, " Marco said as he folded his arms across his chest. " He's becoming such a brat lately."

Marco was talking about their eleven year old cousin from their maternal side.

Melissa and he were double checking the Christmas gift list their mother sent them a week ago. They managed to buy presents for half of the people in the list and were making sure they had everyone covered.

Melissa rolled her eyes at her older brother. " He didn't mean to ruin your lego collection, Marc, " she told him as she placed a check beside Ethan's name. " It was an accident."

" Accident my ass! " Marco growled.

Ethan has always been fascinated with Marco's toy collections. Earlier that year during one of their visits to the Sebastian's patriarchal household, Ethan sneaked into Marco's room and accidentally broke the shelves which held Marco's prized lego collection.

" It's not your money, " Melissa retorted as she circled some of the names in the list. " Mom's buying him and everyone else gifts."

Marco was shaking his head. " Still."

Melissa ignored him and went on enumerating some of the names in the list. " How about Ramona? Did we get something for her already?"

" That pink Tutu skirt, " Marco replied quickly. " Let's just double Mona's gift and skip Ethan this year."

Melissa placed a check next to Ramona's name.

" Don't be such a Scrooge, Marco, " Melissa muttered absent-mindedly as she reviewed the list.

" I know I'm not, " Marco scoffed and then caught sight of Mia coming out of the hallway. In a low voice he said, " but I know someone who is."

They watched silently as Mia neared them and took a small bottle of orange juice from the fridge. She walked over to the dining table and grabbed a piece of muffin from the cupcake stand.

" Good morning! " Melissa greeted cheerfully.

Mia looked at the two of them in surprise, as if seeing them for the first time. She grunted a response which Marco couldn't make out and retreated to the living room.

" Marc and I are planning to go Christmas shopping today, " Melissa called out as she looked at her sister who lazily seated herself on the couch. " you want to join us?"

She looked at Melissa warily and shrugged without saying anything.

" You could finally buy my gift and finish your Christmas shopping, " Melissa continued in a cheerful voice. She raised one hand and crossed her heart with the other. " I promise I won't peek."

Mia just stared at her, a blank expression on her face.

Melissa clasped her hands together and said in an excited voice. " There's this new Christmas market that I want to check out. We can start from there."

Mia still didn't say anything, her brows furrowed together as she stared at the blank TV.

Melissa glanced at Marco signaling for him to say something.

" What? " Marco muttered.

" Talk to her, " Melissa hissed in a low voice.

Marco frowned at his younger sister. Did Melissa really want him to initiate conversation when he wasn't in the wrong here?

It has been three weeks since the Grand Ball. Three weeks since he found out about Robby and Mia's secret relationship. He has not have a decent conversation with Mia since the night that he told her to stay away from his best friend. She hasn't bothered reaching out to him. He hasn't bothered either.