The Big Brother

MIA

She almost fainted when she saw who was standing behind the door.

"Wh-what are you doing here? " she stammered eyeing two luggages parked behind him.

" The last time I checked, I live here, " Marco eyed her curiously as he got hold of his things. " I forgot my keys, sorry if I woke you up."

Mia stepped aside as he pushed the door open.

" Managed to fast track things so I can go home. " he grunted as he struggled to get his luggages inside the house. " I'm fucking exhausted. "

Mia didn't know how long Robby has been standing behind her but he was there the minute Marco stepped into the house. She didn't want to look at him, afraid that his eyes will mirror what she was feeling.

" Marco, " Robby said out loud." Welcome back."

Her brother spun around in surprise. " Rob! What are you doing here, man?"

Mia realized it was past midnight and there was no reason for Robby to be in their house with her at that hour.

" I-" he started.

" He helped me fix the kitchen sink," Mia interrupted as she gave Robby a meaningful look.

She suddenly didn't trust him with her brother. He might suddenly launched their confession and Mia wasn't sure if now was the right time to go into that.

Marco's forehead was creased as he looked at her in confusion. His head turned to the open kitchen and focused his gaze on the sink, which Mia thought, looked horribly clean. Like it has not been touched for a year.

" That's newly installed, " Marco finally said looking at the two of them in bewilderment. " What was the problem?"

" It was just a minor clog, " Robby said quickly giving Mia a sidelong glance. " Easy to fix."

Marco still looked confused as he eyed Robby.

" It's all sorted now, " Mia quickly said.

" You called Robby to fix the kitchen sink at midnight?" Marco asked Mia incredulously. " It could have waited until morning, Mia. "

Mia plastered a smile on her face as she thought of a credible reply. Indeed, why on earth would Robby be fixing sinks at midnight?

" It's not a problem, man," Robby saved Mia from answering. " I was in the area when she called."

Marco slowly nodded and that's when Mia saw weariness in her brother's face.

" Thanks man, " Marco said dismissively. " I owe you. "

Mia silently heaved a sigh of relief and looked at Robby who has a stoic expression on his face.

" Well. I'm calling it a night, " Marco declared and turned to grab his luggages. " The flight was fucking delayed and I have not slept a wink."

" I'm just about to go, anyway, " Robby told him shoving his hands in his jeans pockets.

" I'll see you at school then, " Marco said and started hauling his things towards his room. " Good night guys."

When Marco was safely in his room, Mia grabbed Robby's hand and practically dragged him out of the apartment and inside the building's elevator wbere they both heaved sighs of relief.

" Fixing your sink? " Robby said in amusement finally breaking the silence that momentarily engulfed them.

" It was the first thought that came to my mind, " Mia said defensively.

They exchanged amused looks and knew how ridiculous their excuse sounded.

When the elevator sprung open, they were careful not to show any sign of affection as they walked pass security.

" It's going to be fine, " Robby told her softly when they were finally alone by his car.

Mia forced a smile. " It's going to be different seeing you in school. "

Robby took her hand and gently squeezed it.

" I know, " he said as he leaned forward touching his forehead with hers. " But we'll fix this. We'll speak to Marco once he's settled back in."

Mia squeezed Robby's hand back . " Okay, "

" Don't worry about it," Robby said softly as he kissed her forehead and engulfed her in a tight hug. " Everything will fall into place soon. I promise."

Mia hugged him back taking in his scent which always made her feel right a home.

Reality has bitten them hard tonight. They've broken Marco's golden rule and seeing him tonight made them realize the severity of what they've done.

Tonight confirmed the truth Mia had been unwilling to accept the past days: before they can truly be together, wether they like it or not, they need to get Marco's green light.