Alone

MIA

It was, surprisingly, an easy Constitution exam and most of the Sophomores finished it within half an hour. And an hour after, the exam room was almost empty except for two students who were still filling up their exam papers.

Mia stood by the hallway chatting with Marga on their exam schedule for tomorrow.

" Are you sure you don't want a ride with me? " Marga asked fishing for her car keys inside her bag. " There's no more people here and it's not out of the way."

" Robby should be here soon, " Mia reassured her. " So I should be fine."

" Are you sure? " Marga asked in a doubtful voice as she looked around. " I can drop you off on- "

" I'll be fine, Marga, " Mia cut in as she turned her friend around towards the direction of the building's front doors. " Get going or you're really gonna be late for your mom's birthday dinner. "

Marga eyed her warily before finally relenting.

" Alright, " she said as she took a step back. " Let me know when you're with Rob,"

" I told you I've ran out of phone battery." Mia chuckled at her friend's unnecessary concern. " But I will call you from Robby's phone. Is that good enough for you?"

" Yes, " Marga nodded and walked towards the entrance of the building. " I'll see you on Monday."

" See you, " Mia gave her a small wave before she disappeared into the unlit car park.

When she was finally alone, Mia realized her exam teacher and the remaining students whom she saw seconds ago had left probably using the other door. Most of the lights had been switched off too.

The only light remaining in the building was the hallway's.

Mia took a few steps towards the building's double doors and heard her sneakers scrape against the marble floor.

For a moment there, she thought it sounded eerie.

Taking a deep breath, she pushed the double doors open and the night's warm breeze hit her.

The sight of one sophomore smoking at the road gave Mia relief.

At least she wasn't totally alone.

Mia saw the red haired girl dragged the cigarette in her mouth and blew it out of her nose. She did this a couple of times until she put out her cigarette on the concrete floor with her shoes.

She looked up and saw Mia staring at her.

" Mia, right? " The girl called out.

Mia looked at her in surprise and managed a weak smile. " Yes. But how-"

" Easy, " The girl told her as she grinned showing off her teeth which was turning a nasty yellow color probably caused by her smoking. " Youngest sister of the campus heart breaker and new girlfriend of the campus heart throb. Who wouldn't know you?"

Mia's smile was plastered on her face as the girl nodded at her.

" You need a ride home? " she asked motioning to the parking lot. " I can give you lift."

Mia quickly shook her head. " No. Ummm. Someone's picking me up. " she mumbled as she eyed the red haired girl.

Her eyes lit up. " The brother or the boyfriend? " She wanted to know.

" Robby, " Mia found herself answering.

The girl didn't really need to know but she told her anyway.

" Cool, " The girl said and pulled our her car keys from her jeans pocket. " I'm Tania by the way. Tania Suarez."

Mia nodded at her.

" You sure you don't want me to drop you somewhere? " Tania asked as she looked around the dark building. " I don't want to leave you here all alone."

Mia shook her head at her, " I'll be fine, " she said smilingly. " Robby should be here soon."

" Okay, " Tania said dubiously before she crossed the street to head to the parking lot. " It was nice talking to you, Mia."

And then she disappeared.

She heard her car engine revved up and sped away into the University street,

Once the car was out of sight, it was all dark again and Mia felt all alone in the darkness.

She swore she was going to bargain for a car with her dad the next time she sees him. It's ridiculous having to rely on people for rides all the time.

She glanced at her watch. They finished their exams earlier than expected and Robby would probably not show up until half an hour later.

She sighed as she kicked a pebble on the road.

Mia shivered when she felt the breeze touch her cheeks. It was warm but she shivered. She didn't know if it was because of the breeze or because of the darkness.

" Don't be a scaredy cat, " Mia scolded herself as she walked to one of the wooden benches positioned along the University street. " Robby will be here soon. Relax."

She tried to think of happy thoughts and ignored the knots in her stomach. She didn't know why she was suddenly scared tonight. She has been in the University at night a couple of times and she'd never been afraid. So she couldn't understand why she was suddenly feeling off.

Her train of thoughts were interrupted by bright headlights and Mia jumped in relief when she saw the car.

She raised her hand to wave.

" Robby!"

The car slowly neared her and Mia had to put a hand to shield her eyes from the blinding light.

" What do we have here? "

Mia's heart almost dropped when she realized it was not Robby's car.

It was a black Land Cruiser and driving the massive vehicle was Dominic Gamboa with Lance Cortez in the passenger seat. Mia could see three other guys seated at the back seat all looking at her grimly.

She took a step back.

" Where are you going little princess? " Lance and the three other guys at the back seat went down of the vehicle and slowly encircled her.

" Get away from me, " Mia shouted as her heart raced in her chest.

" Ohhh, " Lance crooned as he smiled at her devilishly. " Feisty."

" Get away! " Mia shouted as she threw her bag to one of the guys blocking her way.

When he lost his balance, Mia took the opportunity to run.

Her heart was pounding so hard across her chest that Mia swore the entire school could hear it. She has not run far enough when an arm engulfed her. She kicked and slapped the hands holding her in place but he was too strong for her.

" L-let me go, " she cried.

She screamed again but was muffled when a handkerchief was pressed against her mouth and nose.

She saw all their horrible faces laughing at her as she struggled against Lance.

They're going to pay for this. Robby will never let them see the light of day. Marco will kill them even before they can say his name.

They will pay for this.

It was Mia's last thoughts before she lost consciousness.