Unlikely Visitor

ROBBY

He dribbled and tried not to have Bryan intercept the ball. He dribbled to his left and moved to his right.

It was a late Saturday afternoon and they were at the Gonzales' private basketball court located just behind the Gonzales' house. They had a fraternity meeting earlier that afternoon to discuss the allocation of the funds raised during the Spudz Concert which took place a week ago. After two hours of arguing and finally getting a consensus from the membership, Robby welcomed his friends in his house and decided on a friendly game of basketball.

He saw Marco behind Bryan eyeing him, his hands stretched forward positioned to catch the ball. In one swift motion, Robby quickly threw the ball to Marco who caught it expertly.

Robby watched Marco dribble and ran and turned to block Patrick from getting the ball.

If somebody told Robby last month that he'd be playing hoop with Marco today, he would have laughed at the ridiculous idea. But here they were, in his house, playing basketball, all differences forgiven and forgotten.

Marco made a quick turn to lose Patrick. He dribbled the ball again as he ran and stopped just behind the three point line. He bent and threw the ball in the air.

Robby held his breath. In. In. In.

And it swished right into the basket.

" Yes! " Robby and Marco shouted in unison and exchanged a victorious high five.

" Fuck! " Bryan and Patrick said eyeing the ring in disappointment.

" Gonzales dribbles the ball left and right and passes it on to Sebastian, " Robby announced in lowered voice imitating a sport's commentator. " Sebastian makes a move towards the basket and stopped just when he was outside the three point mark. Deciding he can make it, he threw the ball. Off it went in the air and right into the basket!"

" Three points for Sebastian!"

" Drinks on both of you tonight? " Marco grinned at Bryan and Patrick.

" That game wasn't fair, " Patrick retorted as he looked at the two of them dubiously.

" Oh yeah? " Robby asked as he took the ball and tucked it underneath his arms.

" How can we possibly win? " Bryan muttered. " The basketball team captain and point guard were on the same team."

Robby and Marco exchanged grins.

Both of them were Varsity Players in the University's Basketball team. Robby was the team captain and Marco was the point guard. The team's point guard usually becomes the team captain. But Marco vetoed the idea so Robby became team captain. Marco will never admit it but Robby thought Marco was not just into strategizing and analyzing games and would prefer to just dribble and shoot without having to think of how to win the game for the team.

" We need a rematch, " Patrick declared as he squatted on the floor to tie his shoelace.

" Definitely, " Bryan echoed his hands on his hips.

" You losers, " Marco said laughingly and shook his head at the two of them. " When did we ever play this game and not have Rob and me in one team? "

" Never, " Robby answered his team mate as he held the ball with his two hands.

He threw it at Patrick who managed to catch it.

" We still want a rematch, " Patrick told them as he swirled the ball on his fingertip.

Marco waved his hand at them and made his way to the bench at one corner of the court.

" Can't now. Need to go. "