Running Trail

MIA

" Let's go, " Robby called out to the trio who were few meters behind him. " Come on you guys, faster! "

" Who's idea was this again? " Irene gasped as she struggled to jog behind her husband.

It was their second to the last day at the Marina and they were doing the runner's trail at the back of the island. The course was easy at the start of the trail but it was getting steeper as they run past the 5 meter mark.

The island was at some point a camp site before Robby's brother acquired it. Apparently a runners' group camped on the island few summers ago and created the runners' trail for their morning and afternoon runs.

" Mine, " Rico gasped for air. " But I never remembered this trail being this hard."

Mia smiled at the couple as she adjusted her cap and fastened her pace.

She liked this couple. She reminded them of her parents.

She was running a few meters behind Robby when her phone rang. She took a quick look at the phone strapped against her arm.

Why would Melissa be calling at 6 in the morning? She wondered.

She ignored the first call but when it rang the second time, Mia took it and jogged towards the canopy of trees at the side of the trail.

" I did it. It's done! " Melissa didn't bother to say hello. " And he's nice. And he asked me out again! "

" And this is so important it can't wait until noon? " Mia replied sarcastically as she continued walking into the forest. " It's 6 in the morning, Iz! "

But Melissa ignored her sarcasm.

Melissa breathed into the phone. " Michael, " she gushed. " I went out on a date with Michael."

Mia stopped in her tracks when she heard this.

Now she understood why this was important.

" And he was great Mia! " she shrieked. Mia can already imagine her jumping up and down when she said this. " We clicked. I think he really likes me. Otherwise, he wouldn't have asked me out for a second date! "

" That's bad, " Mia told her flatly as she looked around and saw giant trees around her.

" Bad? " Melissa echoed. " What do you mean bad? "

" Well, it's bad, " Mia repeated. " Because you now have a problem. You are officially dating the son of our family's mortal enemy. "

Melissa was silent on the other line, probably weighing the truth of what Mia said.

" Geez, you are such a great sister, " Melissa told her dryly. " You could have just let me enjoy the moment and burst my bubble some other time. "

" Reality bites, Iz. " Mia snickered as she finally stopped walking in front of a giant sycamore tree.

Seconds after, she heard voices shouting from a distance . She listened closely and heard voices calling out her name.

They must be looking for her!

" Was that Robby? " Melissa asked in bewilderment.

" Yeah, " Mia muttered as she tried to retrace her steps back to the trail.

" Where are you? " Her sister asked. " Are those birds chirping? "

" We're on this running trail at the back of the resort. " Mia replied and stopped when she noticed that the surrounding trees didn't look familiar. " I went off trail when you called."

Mia looked from left to right, trying to figure out where she came from. She couldn't recall passing this way so she made a turnabout and headed to the opposite direction.

" Wow, " Melissa giggled. " I didn't know you were into running,"

" I'm not, " Mia muttered. She turned when she saw a familiar looking tree. " Robby dragged me here."

" Uh-huh, " Melissa said breezily. " So have you been doing a lot of things together? I mean doing a lot of things there? "

Mia pulled her phone off her ear and stared at it. Was Melissa fishing for information because she suspected something?

" Don't start with me Iz, " Mia warned when she saw another bush that looked familiar.

" What, I was just asking what you've been doing there the past days, " Melissa said in an innocent voice. " I mean, Robby sounded really excited to take you."

Mia narrowed her eyes.

She knew her sister well enough to know if she suspected something. And she was trying to fish for more information about Robby and her.

" Well you know, " Mia said trying to keep her voice normal. " How often can you show off your family's private resort to your best friend's sister? "

Melissa smirked. " Not everyone has a private resort to show off to their best friend's sister. "

Mia laughed at her sister's retort. Melissa joined in seconds after when she realized how funny her statement must have sounded.

Melissa was the first one to break the laughter.

" Be careful, Mia, " she said quietly.

" I'm trying to retrace my steps to get back to the trail, " Mia told her. " But I should be fine."

" You know that's not what I'm talking about, " Melissa said in a serious tone.

Mia knew what she was talking about but decided to ignore her remark.

Just then, she saw Robby emerged between two huge trees. A relieved expression washed over his face when he saw her.

" Iz, I got to go. Let's talk later, " Mia told her sister and quickly dropped the call.

She fastened her pace and walked towards Robby. He quickly grabbed her when she neared him.

" Where have you been? " Robby asked as he peered at her closely. " I've been looking all over for you."

" I got lost. " Mia told him sheepishly. " I'm here now. You found me."

Robby's face broke into a smile.

" I did. " he said softly as he brushed away some strand of hair away from her face. " I found you."

I found you. He had said.

Mia's heart thumped against her chest as Robby enveloped her in his arms. She smiled to herself as she felt Robby's hand cradling the back of her head.

Mia knew Robby was not talking about the trail or the forest.