Iza Speaks Up

MELISSA

It was an hour before midnight and she was peering through the curtains to check if the caterer has arrive at the driveway.

No sign of them.

She glanced at her watch and took out her mobile phone from her dress pocket. She dialed their number.

No one answered the call.

She tried again. But no one was picking up.

She let out a frustrated sigh.

She was the one who insisted on getting this caterer for the New Year's eve party. She booked them because Michael was a partner in this catering venture, which of course, her mother didn't know about.

And now they were late.

" What are you doing here? " Martha asked when she spotted her walking back and forth in front the main door.

" I'm waiting for the caterer, Nana " she told their nanny, fidgeting with her hand. " I think they're late."

The old woman wave her hand dismissively at her. " It's New Year's eve, " she said. " Of course they're late. Now don't worry about it and join everyone outside."

" But-" Melissa said, worry still etched on her face.

What if the caterer didn't come? What if it's already midnight and they were still not here.

" Stop worrying, " Martha chuckled. " The new year is almost here. You should be enjoying yourself out there.

Melissa nodded and reluctantly headed outside the garden where the festivities were coming along.

The place was converted into an enchanted garden. Fairy lights were dropped mid-air. The shrubs and trees were covered in glowing net lights. There were customized wooden chairs and tables strewn everywhere. Thousand led washlights were scattered everywhere projecting a dim ambiance.

Melissa walked to the makeshift bar and saw her brother seated on one of the customized wooden stool, drinking a bottle of beer.

" Aren't you a jolly sight, " Melissa chuckled as she took the stool beside him and signaled the waiter for a drink. " Strawberry Margarita please."

Marco rolled his eyes at her and took a swig of his bottle.

" It's an hour before the New Year, " Melissa told him as she looked at their little cousins running around the garden. " If you sulk when the new year comes, you'd be sulking the entire year. So cheer up."

At least, that's what Nana said.

" What do you think they're doing there? " Marco asked out loud in response.

Melissa turned to him and arched an eyebrow. " What do you think they're doing there?"

Marco shrugged and shifted his gaze on the men who were setting up the fireworks.

Her brother was referring to Robby and Mia. They flew back to the capital a few days ago and will be spending the New Year with Robby's family.

She was as surprised as Marco was when their father actually allowed Mia to go. It was after all the holiday season and it has always been the family's unspoken rule to be together on Christmas and the New Year.

" I don't get it, " Marco muttered staring straight ahead.

Melissa's looked at him curiously. " What don't you get? "

Marco took a gulp of his beer once again before answering.

He looked at Melissa. " I don't get Robby. How can he do this when he saw what happened to you. Not hear, Iz. Saw with his two fucking eyes!"