Happy Tears!

We walked back to the wedding, our smiles carefully modulated. We'd both decided to refrain from making an announcement tonight. In an effort to hide the news, I had shifted the ring to my right hand. This was Rania's big day and she deserved all the spotlight.

We walked side by side, constantly making eye contact and blushing, our hands brushing at brief intervals. 

Zaroon left my side to greet Uncle EJ and Ammi Jaan, while I found myself being tackled by the bride. 

As we walked to the stage, I saw my family members throw suspicious looks our way. I gave them a bright smile and waited for my turn.

"What happened? Did you guys patch up? I swear I had no idea that Hussein had invited him! He didn't tell me" I calmed her down.
"It's fine..." I said, praying that she didn't see the ring. I should have taken it off. "Uh-huh"
"Oh no. How are you, Elena? Are you okay? Did he say something?"

"Enough about me, it's your day! Come on, it's time for the toast," I nodded, keeping my right hand under the folds of my dress and dragging her towards her seat.

I stood in front of the microphone, my gaze constantly flipping back and forth from Zaroon and to the rest of the guests. He pursed his lips trying hard not to smile. 

Feroze strolled towards the arranged seating and gave me a big thumbs up. I swear this man was still a child. He'd taken the day off as the Prime Minister and I knew it was to torment me. He could have left after the ceremony but no, he wanted to stay throughout the whole event.

"Attention everyone. Hi, hello, sister of the bride here. If you could all please settle down, thank you" light laugh rippled around the crowd and a few stragglers roamed around to find a place to sit.

Next to me, Hamza geared up for his own speech. I glared at him. Taking the hint he moved to the other side of the stage. I refocused and saw Izzy fighting a huge smile. 

I rolled my eyes and tapped on the microphone.

"Hello. Welcome to my sister's nuptials. Thank you all for coming" claps and a few hoots echoed around the room. "Most of you know my sister Rania as the fun easy going sister. You'd be wrong, she actually has the makings of a dictator" Rania smirked. "How do I know this? Well, the woman dragged me out of bed at 4 am in the morning, just to shop for the perfect candle" Hussein looked at me, his face mockingly horrified. "Apart from that, she's a pretty gentle individual, except maybe when it comes to her love of cats. Or her love of wax objects... I don't know, it's an obsession, good luck with that Hussein"

Laughter followed my words. I gave the audience a smile, my hands still in folds of the dress.

"She's also the best sister one could ask for. To be fair I wouldn't know since she's my only sister but let's let that detail slide" Ammi Jaan laughed. "Apart from that, she's an amazingly talented artist and an even more amazing person" Hussein smiled and put his hand on his heart.

"Hussein, you're taking the most precious part of my life away from me. Rania has been my companion through late-night shopping runs to gossip rounds. We've weathered quite a few storms together and she remained unwavering in her support for me" I wiped the tear that had managed to escape.

Rania sniffled. "She has also been my little baby, someone who'd come to me when she was scared or troubled. Hussein, I feel like I'm passing the baton to you now. You've proved yourself to be an amazing friend but more than that, you've managed to worm your way into this family. Take care of my baby sis, she's a rarity"

Ammi Jaan gave Rania a side hug.

"Congratulations to the newlyweds! I wish you both a world of happiness and love. To Rania and Hussein!"  Everyone followed my lead to raise their glass and I heard the zooming sound of Ammi Jaan's and Rania's eyes focusing on my hand.

Oh crap. I shuffled off the stage, trying to not seem like I was running away.

"My dearest sister, Elena, won't you give me a hug?" Rania said dragging me towards her. I gave her a small smile.
God, her grip was fierce. "Sure"
"I will kill you. That ring! You're engaged? How could you not tell me!" she hissed through her smile.
"I wanted you to have your day," I said through clenched teeth. 
"Well it's 12 and it's over now. Elena! Oh my God, how was it? Was it romantic? I bet it was romantic," I disengaged myself from her, red as a beet.
"We'll talk about this later"
"Oh yes we will," she said as Hamza took to the stage.

The moon shined above, its light shining on the party. The music blared loudly, the cool sea breeze ruffling our dresses as we moved around dancing barefoot in the sand. Guests yelled their goodbyes and trickled out as the night got older. I saw Feroze say goodbye to Uncle EJ and leaving for his flight back to the capital. I waved goodbye and he gave me a two-fingered salute. Soon, we were the only ones that remained.

Rania, who was supposed to have left an hour ago, dragged Hussein to our little family party.

"You're supposed to be on your way to your house"
"We'll leave in a moment. Tell us all of the details" She said, gesturing towards Zaroon.
"The details of what exactly?" Hania asked, her eyes bright with curiosity.
"Someone got a new ring" Rania announced glaring at me. I closed my eyes and Zaroon choked on his drink.
"What?" Uncle EJ asked, looking at Zaroon.
"What is she talking about?"Izzy asked me. I looked at Zaroon and he came to stand beside me.
"Elena and I are engaged"

All of them started to ask questions at the same time.
"You're what?"
"Wait what?"
"When?"
"Like 9 months ago" Uncle EJ said with a sigh.

Zaroon's head whipped to look at me as I glared at Uncle EJ. He shrugged apologetically.

"Tell us everything" Ammi Jaan demanded, her eyes filled with tears. This was a dream come true for her. Hussein came forward to congratulate Zaroon and Izzy swept me in a hug. I let Zaroon do the talking.

"Well at least wear the ring on the right hand," Hania said, grabbing my hand and looking at the ring appreciatively.

I moved to shift the ring but Zaroon grabbed my hand. 

"Allow me" the family hooted and cheered as Zaroon slid the ring back where it belonged. "Perfect" he muttered, his fingers clasped around mine.
"Finally" I replied.

********************************************