The dreaded matriarch

"Adaab Ammi Jaan," I greeted my mother as I entered her room. The sunlight streamed in from the open balcony doors as the curtains fluttered from the sea breeze. The room was littered with books and papers, with my mother having tea at her desk.

"Elena, meri jaan (my love) you showed up," she exclaimed, lightly placing her hand on my lowered head. "We were worried you were going to ignore the invite, as you did for Farishta's wedding. I owe EJ dinner," there it was. The immediate attack and reprimand.

"Ammi Jaan, that was two years ago. I'm sure the gift was enough to soothe any issues she might have had," I replied giving her a fond smile.

"Family comes first bachay (kid). No gift can overcome that. Did I not teach you that? But of course, people in the west are very, how would you phrase it? Individualistic," she said twisting her lips as if she had tasted something very bitter. I stared at her in disbelief.

"Let it go Ammi Jaan, she was busy. Besides, she could never miss my wedding, after all, I am her only friend," Izzy interjected and seated himself on the ottoman. Ammi Jaan smiled at him before turning back to her cup of tea.

"I know all about her friends", Ammi Jaan muttered. "I hope you have some decent clothes or shall I ask Andaleeb to find something for you?",

"It's lovely to see you too Ammi Jaan. How was my flight you ask? Wonderful. No, Rania has called in a few favors, we'll have the dresses here tomorrow," I answered giving her a sarcastic smile.

"Rania bachay, I hope they're all designer dresses. The bride will be wearing a Hassan exclusive," she said giving me an exasperated look.

"Hassan who?" I whispered to Rania.

"New in the fashion circuit. Youngest son of the Baloch Sardar. Progressive imagery and all that..." she whispered back. I shook my head in annoyance.

"Rania please make sure that she gets a designer who can make a statement. We can not afford to lose this opportunity. It's her homecoming, she will be welcomed back into the society," Ammi Jaan said as she finished her tea and turned around to reach for a file.

"It's not my wedding, let the bride and groom make whatever statements necessary," I replied. Ammi Jaan put the file down to glare at me.

Izzy coughed to break the awkward silence. Rania slinked back muttering about her site visit and left the room.

"Izhaan, please be a dear and ask Andaleeb to send in my breakfast in precisely thirty minutes." Izzy bolted out of the room shutting the door behind me. I sighed. This was going to be a long day.

"Sit Elena. I've heard you are faring well in that little job of yours",

"It's not a little job. And yes, it is going quite well. Did your informants also tell you how I found them trying to create a duplicate key for my apartment?" I asked sitting on the ottoman, crossing my legs.

"A minor issue. It was for your safety"

"How would I have been safe with someone having access to my apartment?"

"You were living in that questionable neighborhood. I do wish you would have chosen to live in your fathers' apartments"

"I wouldn't have been able to afford that," I huffed covering up the pang of sadness I felt at the mention of my father.

"Of course not. But that's your inheritance," She waved her hand to dismiss my glare.

"I asked for space"

"And you got your space. More than anyone of us has any right to have. You took quite a vacation. Five years of minimal contact, with no visits and no interest in your legacy," She passed the file she was studying to me, avoiding my gaze as she tried to conceal the hurt that showed in her eyes. "Things are not as they appear to be. We need you back."