Sweeping the dust away

After an hour, Izzy got up to find his wife. He was planning to take her to his London estate, right after the elections. All of us told him that this was the best for their relationship and he left, his steps a little lighter.

"Oh by the way... Salaar is leaving tonight"  he said just before he exited the room.

"There goes another one. I better contact Hussein to see what's up with the lawyer" Rania said, getting up and leaving the room. I felt terrible, I had not seen Salaar since I had returned from that disastrous rally, two days ago. Sighing, I shifted to get more comfortable in Ammi Jaan's lap.

"I want to ask how you're feeling... but I don't know if you're ready to tell me," she said, still stroking my hair. I sniffled in reply. It hurt too much. Uncle EJ and then Zaroon. Why oh why had Feroze known that information? Why was he the one to tell me? I had no doubt he had known this for a day at least. This was his way of lashing out.

"I... I don't know. There's a lot going on. It's too much... it hurts..." my voice cracked and I tried to control my sobs.

"Do you love him?"

"What is love anyway?" she chuckled at my tone. I sounded like a teenager.

"Love is comfort and discomfort at the same time. It is knowing that no matter what, you'll be loved and protected" I laughed at her description. That was sensible. She carried on undeterred.

"Love is being angry at them and still wanting them to come and hold you. Being in love is crazy and unreal. It is also the best feeling in the world. Being in love is when your life is better than a dream because you have everything you wished for and more" I could feel my heart thumping at her words. "You want him to be here don't you? With you." I put my face in my hands. She sighed.

"I also felt that way about Feroze" I blurted.

"Oh yes, that disaster. The one-day marriage" I looked up at her in shock. She stared at me amused.

"You knew?"

"Of course I knew. I am your mother. I was offended you did not tell me, but I understood why. Although, honestly Elena, how you thought you could hide it from me, that would always baffle me. I am your mother, I always know. I also knew when Ehsan came to me and told me that you were happy here. That there was a chance you might stay. I know why you stayed..."

"Because I had to... you needed me," I said, offended and embarrassed.

"Oh, I do not doubt that... but you would have done that either way. Your sense of responsibility would have always brought you back sooner or later. You stayed because you wanted to see this through. To see where this would go" she said, her voice filled with joy. "I saw him watching you, looking at you. His eyes never wandered from you. I have also seen him subtly scan for you when you're not there when he thinks no one is looking" my cheeks flared red.

Her voice dropped an octave and became softer. "Above all, he has been loyal to you. Had you told me about Feroze, I would have told you about Naila. You were far too gone in your rebellious stage that you did not bother to ask anyone" I lowered my head, reproached.

"I feel the same way right now..." honestly, I had no idea what was going on with my heart.

"Wrong. Feroze always hid his feelings for you. Zaroon, God sometimes I wish he would hide his. His eyes were always clear. And honey, Feroze never loved you, he loved this place, your name, your title. That is why he is here today. Zaroon asked to stay. He was done after the preparations for the wedding, but he wanted to stay"

"Zaroon could be the same"

"He could be, but he's not"

"How are you so sure?"I asked, my voice coming out tired.

"I am your mother" and that was it. She offered no further explanation. I got up from the sofa, stretching out like a cat.

"I'm meeting Naila for tea. I am going to extract some info. Would you like to be there?"

"Information, use the full word, Elena. Yes, I would love to. It's time we took the reins in our own hands"

"I agree" I replied, fixing my clothes and walking towards the doors.

"Oh and Elena," I paused and turned. "I always wanted you to have it all."

I walked back to her and kissed her hand. "And one final thing, love is, forgiveness," she whispered as I got up to leave. I stared at her and she nodded sagely. "When you are ready"

My guards snapped to attention as I exited the room. I gave them all a customary nod and we walked towards my room.

After taking a long blissful nap, I woke up to tangled hair and a lot of noise outside my door. Smoothing my hair, I ran towards the door and yanked it open. Zaroon stood there arguing with Ahsan, who was not backing down, while the rest looked on.

"What is going on here?" I said and they quietened.

"Begum Sahiba, Sir wanted to talk to you and I told him he wasn't allowed" appreciation and love flowed through me and I nearly smiled. Nearly. His eyes flickered to the guards around me but I did not move.

"It's alright", I said opening up the door wide so he could step into the room. "Thank you, Ahsan"

Ahsan nodded and closed the door behind us. Zaroon turned his gaze on me and I had to steel myself against the onslaught of emotions. I did not budge. He gave up with a sigh and I looked up at him, still silent.

"I can explain..." I stayed quiet. "Uncle Ehsan, he told me not to tell you. That was before you and me..." the words were rushing out of him.

"You attacked my mother" I whispered. Zaroon stepped back as if I had slapped him. His face was filled with remorse and guilt. "All that time, and you knew?" I said.

"Elena, I'm sorry. I know it was a big thing. I should have told you. There is so much more to it... will you please let me explain?" the pleading note in his voice was chipping away at my defenses but I was not ready to give up. He looked into my eyes, trying to get the message through. Damn those eyes. I could still see her broken face in my mind. How could he...

He had said he had loved me. A day ago he had said he had loved me. He had been there for me. Supporting me. Saving me. Zaroon saw the thought enter my head as he read the emotion on my face. He shook his head coming towards me, palms up.

"Major Zaroon" the light in his eyes dimmed and his face fell. "We are in a professional environment. For some reason you and my Uncle... until he comes back, we will not talk about this. That's all" and with that, I walked out of the room, closing the door at his face.

I hunkered down in the library, hoping he would seek me out. These feelings were so intense. At one point I wanted him to burst into the room and explain everything. On the other hand, I wanted him to leave me alone and let me have my space. Shaking my head I tried to focus on the main problems at hand. Uncle EJ's case, Naila, the city. Everything seemed to be imploding around me.

****************************************************************************************